Friday, March 14, 2008

POST OFFICE ENCOURAGES LETTER WRITING

Hallie said in an email message on 2-24-08: "I think it's too bad that the hand written letter is a thing of the past. There's something special about a letter written in someone's personal scrawl. It's like you're sending a little piece of yourself--a paper that you've touched and thoughtfully written a message on." I filed this wonderful statement knowing the day would come when I could use it.

In today's Lewiston Tribune I found an item that echoed the above sentiment, even if the intent is commercial. Quoting from the article: "Eager to encourage letter writing, the post office is trying a new tack, offering to let people mail a card to a friend for free. Until March 31, people can get a free card, postage included, which they can use to send a message to a friend." HBO is covering the cost as a promotion of its miniseries on John Adams. You can get the free cards at poweroftheletter.com. The chief marketing officer for the Postal Service is quoted as follows: "Letters and cards are personal, you can hold them, you can read them over and over again, and keep them forever -- these are things that e-mail and text messaging cannot replace."

I checked out the site. You can select from a number of card styles and then personalize it and add a photo if you wish. That seemed odd to me since my concept of the project was that I should personalize by hand writing my own message. But -- oh well!

We saw in the Depression-era letters written by Ina and others that stationery made a thoughtful and welcome Christmas gift for anyone. I remember when I loved to select a new box of stationery -- considered it a great treat. I also remember noticing -- perhaps in the '80s -- how expensive stationery was becoming! In her latter years, Mother enjoyed corresponding with Chuck, and he often provided lovely stationery on gifting occasions. I still have remnants of the last boxes. KW

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I seem to remember receiving stationery from you, perhaps for birthday gifts? Anyway, I still love stationery, even though I usually just use note cards these days. My beloved daughter-in-law, Amy, is a master of the written word having been trained up the the Anderson/Yenni tradition. I try on occasion...

M/W said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
M/W said...

Sorry, but I hate to have to hand write to anyone. It's slow (the process itself), not very neat and not easy to correct my mistakes. Even before computers I'd rather type than have to hand write.

Kathy said...

I might well have given Chris stationery. Also -- stationery boxes were great for a number of purposes -- for wrapping gifts, for storing things, etc. Sometimes the box was exceptionally nice. It might even be a tin can.

Does Amy write long-hand letters? I'm guessing they keep in touch via email. I always envied your cursive, Chris -- very neat and pretty. KW

Anonymous said...

I usually sent letters to Mom which were typed on the computer, then printed and sent. I could enlarge the print so she could more easily read them. Also, the ease of correction of ideas I had not put down very well the first time. I sent her stationery because she didn't have or use a computer. I treasure her letters. It's all about contact. CPW

Anonymous said...

Yes, Amy writes long hand letters. She does use email, but usually just for short notes (although she has a degree in computer science, she says she hates computers). She writes to Mom and Dad, us on occasion, old family friends, and to others.

Thanks for your nice comments on my handwriting. Teaching helps me keep it in line--the kids have to be able to read it!

debdog42 said...

The PO can encourage all they want but no hand written letters from me unless that is the only way to contact you! HA-HA-HA!!