Friday, April 18, 2008

SPRING AWAKENINGS


I have a few minutes to myself this morning and decided to share a few more pictures taken last weekend. According to my research, this little wildflower is "spring beauty." I found it everywhere we went on the homestead.



These little blooms I couldn't find in the wildflower book. The stems resemble crocus, which was a tip-off that it might be a bulb. They were in an area that Hallie and I planted (not too successfully) some years back. Sure enough -- I found it in my bulb catalog. "Early Snow Glories" are described as "no maintenance wonders" that increase every year. Cute!

Prior to working on the house, we had never gone to the farm in the early spring. Imagine my surprise to find a border of daffodils in the grove! I suspect they were originally planted -- maybe by an aunt or uncle in the 1960s. This photo shows just one section. They bloom successively according to sunlight. Some are shaded because of the pine trees.

This week we will see and record more springtime awakenings. Have a good weekend!

4 comments:

Hallie said...

I like daffodils! Those will be pretty when they bloom. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow geting popular arn't you M&D. Blueberries need acidic well drained soil. If your not sure about your soil you can test it or you can't go wrong planting the bushes in a large bed of peat of composted pine bark. Probably find plenty of conifer mulch in the grove for them. Once planted the berries should be surrounded by a ring of mulch maintained at six to ten inches. The pond area might be best for them as they do need some water. If you decide you will need to use sulfur or aluminum sulfate to acidify your soil waiting a year would be good. Cold won't be a problem with most varietys, droubt might be. Keep me informed.
I remember the currant bush from twelth ave, but can't quite remember what the jam you made tasted like. I know what a gooseberry is, but have no idea what one tastes like or what to do with one. Billie and I are going over to Dawn's house to look for a volunteer Grape vine right now. Best of luck!-mvw

Hallie said...

Nick loves currant jam. Dried currants are also very good in a spinach green salad! I love STRAWBERRY jam, but I also really like huckleberries paired with vanilla ice cream. YUM! And let us not forget blueberry muffins. :) A berry for all of your berry desires!

Kathy said...

I appreciate the info, MVW. Yes, we do have lovely conifer mulch in the grove. The pond area seems tough for planting. The top soil is gone exposing the clay soil. Probably we will confine plantings to the west side (back) of the house for now. I'm not sure if dried currants are made from currants off the bush. I have to research that . . . XO