Wednesday, April 9, 2008

OLD OROFINO

On the sidebar you’ll see a photo of modern Orofino. Here’s an old postcard of Orofino in 1922. The photos show the business district from opposite ends of Johnson Avenue. In this old photo, note the original location of the Ford Garage. Though I can't identify the group standing beside the car, I wonder if the man farthest to the left isn't my grandfather, C. O. Portfors.

We're sorry to hear that Hallie isn't feeling well today. And Mike scheduled shoulder surgery for April 29. He anticipates a six-week recuperation period.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always thought Papa's garage was down where Les Schwab is, but this photo puts it near Oud's Pharmacy. When he first went into business with Harry White, Harry said if Papa would handle the business end, Harry would handle the mechanic end. Evidently it was successful. Oh, for the good old days.

Kathy said...

Wow! I was still working on this entry! I posted it just to look at it, then went back to edit it, and when I made the final post, I noticed the comment. You must have been looking over my shoulder, Chuck. Yes, Grandpa entered the automobile business at the right time. KW

Anonymous said...

cool. not much I can relate to though, neither the geography, nor the stunning success. I like old photos though, rarely do you see one that anyone can tell you much about.... -mvw

debdog42 said...

What is it that Mike is having done to his shoulder?

Kathy said...

One of the functions of this blog is to share family / community history, so whether or not you can relate, I hope you enjoy.

Mike has had shoulder pain for quite some time. A cortisone shot didn't seem to phase it. Apparently the surgery will be a combination arthroscopic and open to repair whatever. I guess it's possible he has a rotator cuff tear even tho MRI didn't show one. KW