Friday, June 6, 2008

NELLIE AND THE LAPTOP

Mike and I have been running into each other frequently here at the computer – the hub of our world, as it were. Since we can’t both sit here at the same time, we bought a laptop in honor of our recent wedding anniversary (33). We picked it up yesterday at Staples. “Donald,” the salesperson, assured us we would have no problem setting up and connecting to the wireless router. Mike set up the router and went for a bike ride, admittedly leaving me to set up the laptop.

Now, I’ve never set up a computer on my own, and it took me hours just to connect with the internet. I refused to call the associate at Staples, opting instead to call Hallie. By the time she could talk to me, I had all the issues resolved but not without weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth. (I’m really not without some intuitive ability. I just don’t speak the language – can’t follow the jargon.)

This afternoon when I opened the laptop for another “get acquainted” session, Nellie insisted on going outside. “What’s Nellie doing out there?” Mike asked. “That’s strange; she’s just lying in the tall grass on the hill. It’s like she’s upset about something here in the house and would rather be out there.” Then I remembered her sensitivity to our upsets and frustrations, which she had correctly associated with the laptop. So, I insisted she come back in and observe me at peace with the laptop. I can tell, though, she still thinks it’s the laptop from hell. She might be right.

1 comment:

Hallie said...

Silly dog! I hope she gets over her dislike for the laptop.