Wednesday, July 2, 2008

CROWN IMPERIAL FRITTALARIA -- AND OTHER ROADSIDE TALES

“I’ll bet we can pick up three dozen cans on Miller Road,” I said to Mike yesterday, “with plenty more on Curfman Road.” So, after the four-mile practice hike, we set off on the 4-wheeler to pick up cans. I should have had a garbage bag – maybe two – one for trash and one for cans. As it was I had a grocery sack. We filled it full to overflowing with cans and when we got back to the house we counted 65 – everything from Country Time Lemonade, Shasta pop, and Pepsi to beer with the majority being beer. We didn’t get near all of them. And we gave up trying to pick up trash.

Then – when we got to the site of Hazel Wright’s old house, Mike dug out some bulbs I wanted called Crown Imperial Frittalaria. Pete Curfman, who tore the house down last summer, told me that I could take any of the bulbs and plants I wanted. At that time I took some iris. I knew the frittalaria had been there but with the burning of the house and the excavation, I could no longer see where they were and thought they might not have survived. But, lo and behold, this spring they bloomed again, and while we could still see where they are (because their leaves are dying back now), Mike consented to help me dig them up today. It was tough going – and we massacred the first one trying to get it out of the ground. We were successful in taking up two others. I don’t know if the pieces would develop or not. The frittalaria have a pungent aroma that is supposed to repel rodents. I’m all for repelling rodents. I planted the two big bulbs already.

Yesterday afternoon I took my first bike ride of the season – 7.5 miles. It went reasonably well and was basically uneventful.

6 comments:

Hallie said...

Will this frittalaria scent also repel humans? You don't want that!

I'm surprised at all that trash, but glad you're taking a stand.

Nick and I ran 2 miles yesterday. We're starting an exercise routine together. I hope to incorporate some track work in addition to road work. I'll challenge him on the road and he'll challenge me on the track!

Anonymous said...

When Dad worked in the woods (and actually still whenever he's out) he picked up garbage. He kept an old milk crate for cans (he always smashed them--those big boots he wears are handy for that) and it was amazing what else he'd come home with--shot up old TVs, plastic bags...you know, I'm sure. I'm always amazed at what people throw alongside the road. Bad people, bad, bad!!

And speaking of "stuff", did you get the bottle caps I sent, Hallie? Or did the post office confiscate them as being suspicious?? They did make a lumpy package...

Hallie said...

Hi Chris,

Yes, Thank you for the bottle caps! There are some really nice colors in the selection you sent. The first time I received a package of bottle caps, my Receptionist said, "Hallie, you have a package, but I think it might be BROKEN!" Ha ha!

Was your dad a logger or Forester?

Kathy said...

No, the frittalaria scent will not repel humans. Both the bulbs and the plant are aromatic and the human can detect it, but I don't think it's really unpleasant.

The thing that's disappointing about the trash is that some of the folks who live here are responsible for most -- perhaps not all -- of it. When the road leads to one house, what else can you think? I blame the teen-agers, but Clint says, "Oh now don't go blamin' the kids, Mom. It's not all the kids." He points out that there's all kinds of trash on the interstate in southern Idaho. He said one time Idaho Power workers lost a 5-gallon water jug on the highway and didn't know it until they go back to the plant.

Do you want rusty bottlecaps, Hallie? KW

Hallie said...

Yes, all bottle caps are fine. If they're too dirty and gross to pick up, don't worry about them. If they're faded or rusty, they're good. It's good to have a variety of colors and faded and rusty ones can be nice in the scheme.

Kathy said...

Mike checked out Miller Road the other day and said that he thinks our limited trash pick-up made a big difference. We're planning to do it again. We'll connect the trailer to the 4-wheeler so we have a better base of operation. KW