Wednesday, July 30, 2008

FARMERS' MARKET


We came back to the farm this morning after a few days in town. It seems like we’re getting a little smarter about these trips to town – we take less and there’s less to bring back. Still, I always think it’s a day’s work to pack and unpack – chores worth the reward of the rest of the day off. Do I sound like a teen-ager?

On the way out of town we stopped by the farmers’ market which is held Wednesday mornings behind the Community Center. Patronizing the local farmers’ market is one of the “cut your grocery expenses” suggestions. We haven’t shopped the market before, so we thought we’d give it a try. We bought a little produce but on the whole we agreed it wasn’t really impressive. The tomatoes looked like they needed more time on the vine; the green peppers were small. The beets were plentiful and looked good. I saw lots of summer squash, but I’m happy to report my own town vines are producing this year, and I picked three large zucchini suitable for grating and one “eater.” One table was full of packaged cookies, but Mike reminded me that they would be loaded with “sat fat.” And one gentleman was displaying fresh homemade jams and jellies. One lady had her table loaded with potholders for which she was asking $1.10 each. I bought three. (Now you know what I’ll give everyone for Christmas!) I didn’t count the vendors but Mike and I agree there were less than ten. I would stop again but I wouldn’t re-arrange my schedule to do so. To be fair, though, it’s been a cold year, and perhaps gardens are late in producing.

What about you? Do you visit the farmers’ market in your community? I remember Murray and Douglas talking about a farmers’ market in Philadelphia, and I’ve heard that the farmers’ market in Moscow is good.
My raspberries have really come on this year. You might remember that it looked like we might have a good crop of berries so we put some fencing around the bushes. The crop began to ripen last week. So far I’ve picked about ¾ cup of berries altogether. (Stop laughing – last year I picked three berries!) Last week it looked like the birds were picking them off while they were still under ripe, so I put netting over the bushes. While we were at Wal-Mart I bought 10 yards of additional netting at $.77 per yard and it was a good thing, too! While we were away the past two days, the strawberry border on the south side of the house was thoroughly munched. I suspect the deer because the work seemed more methodical than I would expect from rodents or grasshoppers. The developed leaves were eaten and the core of the plant left to sprout again if it can muster the strength. So I covered those plants with netting, too. It’s disappointing because the plants were really doing quite well and though I didn’t expect them to bear this year, this will constitute a setback.
[We ordered a new camera, a Nikon CoolPix P60. Maybe it will be here by the weekend so that I can start illustrating the blog again. We returned the little Fugi purse model.] KW

5 comments:

Hallie said...

We go to the farmer's market sometimes but rarely buy anything. West Seattle has a year-round farmer's market on Sundays. Organics are a big deal here--the produce often looks good, so I don't know why I don't buy anything. I bought some honey at a farmer's market that Murray and I stumbled upon in New York.

Anonymous said...

Moscow's Farmer's Market is fun. It's not just produce, but has crafts (good ones!), plants, and food. It's like a trip to a festival each Saturday. We don't go often, but when we do we usually buy something. They have music, and no matter what, we always see tons of people we know. It's a party once a week. Good stuff.

Kathy said...

I think it's a little more awkward to step up to the buying process at the farmers' market. I did it yesterday, but in the past I've found it just as easy to keep on moving. At our market, prices weren't displayed, especially on the produce. So, you have to ask and then make your decision. It's tough for me to look a vendor in the eye and say, "That's too much." The decision making process is so much more private at the grocery store.

A festival is good, but I can understand not having a festival on Wednesday. Before the season is over, maybe I can attend the Saturday market in Brackenbury Square. Lewiston is not as good with festivals as Moscow -- for whatever reason. And I have talked with some Lewiston vendors who prefer the Moscow event and would rather participate there than in Lewiston.

murray.warnock said...

We're lucky enough to have a Farmers' Market twice a week about a block from our house. Pricey, but the peaches and tomatoes can't be beat this time of year, and the same for the apples in the fall. Doug grew up on the whoopie pies at the Amish baked goods stand.

Kathy said...

Mon., 8-4-08: Yesterday Mike and I went to the Clarkston Albertson's to get groceries. "Did you find everything you needed?" asked the clerk. "Except the fruit," Mike coached in a stage whisper. "Oh, I decided not to buy the fruit," I said politely.

"Well, I have a craving for some Royal Ann cherries and we have them back there for $6.99 a pound!" said the clerk with a jerk of her head toward the rear of the store. "I understand they had them for $2.00 a pound at the Moscow farmers' market."

"Yes," I said, "And your prices are the reason I didn't buy fruit."

I believe this is the first time a clerk ever complained to me about the prices at the store.