Sunday, July 27, 2008

WE GROW ‘EM BIG ON THE FROG RANCH

I was down at the pond doing a little algae clean-up with the pond rake while Nellie was participating in her usual pastime of trying to catch frogs. Now Nellie is well practiced at this sport but I’ve never known her to actually catch one. She will usually point before lunging and when she finally lunges the frog leaps. So I was really surprised to see Nellie swimming out of the pond with a frog dangling from her mouth. She had been splashing around in the little slip that connects the two ponds. Naturally I had to closer investigate this event. Nellie actually had a bird in her mouth and the frog had the bird’s head in his mouth and would not or could not let go. Now I’m talking about what appeared to be a full grown robin! That was one ambitious and hungry frog because the robin was every bit as big as he was. I really apologize for forgetting the camera because you’re probably not going to believe this story. M/W

6 comments:

Hallie said...

You caught the food chain in action! That is bizarre that the frog tried to eat a BIRD. I guess the frog was getting tired of the bird eating his insects. What happened next? Did the frog swallow? Did you let the bird out? Was it too late to bother?

Kathy said...

On the other hand, who would make up such a story, right? KW

M/W said...

I just put the frog on the ground in the weeds. He was still plenty alive but the bird wasn't. I didn't try to pull the bird out. I figured it was his problem.

Anonymous said...

Like Hallie, I want to hear the 'rest of the story'. So the bird was dead, the frog was alive, and Nellie was confused. Did the frog continue to finish off the bird? What was the outcome of the frog? Who won?
CW

M/W said...

Chuck, I don't know who won but I suspect it was a dead (literally) draw because I don't see how that frog could have swallowed that bird and I don't believe he could spit it out. A lesson in gluttony.

murray.warnock said...

This story reminds me of gator versus python.