Wednesday, January 21, 2009

ANALOG TO DIGITAL

You probably didn’t guess that I’m among those affected by the national move from analog to digital. It won’t affect Mike and has nothing to do with our household television. It has to do with my little Sony Watchman.

I’ll bet it was at least 15 years ago that I bought the Sony Watchman for the kitchen. It cost about $30.00, I think – and I have loved it. It receives only the local station, KLEW-TV, but that’s enough. Between 5:00 and 6:30 p.m. – while I work in the kitchen – the Watchman keeps me company. Because KLEW is a teaching station, I can listen to the local news twice – at 5:00 and again at 6:00 – and also CBS News (with Katie Couric) sandwiched between.

And “listen” is the operative word. With its 4.5” black and white screen, it’s not fit for watching. On the other hand, I do find myself checking the picture when the story is interesting.

“We’re going to run a test,” announces local newscaster, Matt Lovelace. “If your television set is not digital-ready, you will see a snowy screen with an announcement to call our office for more information.” Sure enough! The little screen proves what I already know -- when the analog signal goes away on Feb. 17, so will my Watchman. It’s not worth hassling with a converter box, and yet, I will miss it.

The march of technology really isn’t fair. You know some folks were still listening to the radio – and it was enough for them – when programming began to disappear because of television. It didn’t matter what they thought, how they might resist, what radio technology had meant and still meant to them – the radio programs were going away. Eras come and go, and sometimes the realization of change is abrupt.

I received shipping notification from HP yesterday. The laptop is on its way back. KW

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can find a small (really small) digital TV which can serve your purpose. I heard the other day that the government had run out of money for the converter boxes, and were considering extending the date, because many, many people are unable to get the boxes on time.

Cheryl said she applied for the coupon, they said they sent it, she never got it, and they wouldn't send another, so she will have to bite the bullet if and when the time comes.