Sunday, January 4, 2009

MAKING A START


Today I treated myself to a shopping spree at Jo-Ann Fabrics and bought this fabric, "Floral Vine Embroidered Coffee Corduroy," to make my retro no-closure jacket. I hope I like the finished product. At any rate, I had a good time. I also purchased Christmas fabrics, some remnants for doll clothes and teddy bears, and some notions. And -- I remembered to take a fabric tote bag for my purchases. "You go girl!" said the associate. And -- I also cleaned all the plastic sacks out of my pantry and took them to Albertson's for recycling.

I do have to be careful about starting too many projects. In the first place, there's just so much I want to do. And then, I think it's a human failing -- wanting to start but never pushing to the finish. Maybe we just lose interest. Perhaps the project isn't as much fun as we had anticipated. Maybe we reach a "stumblingblock" -- a phase of the work that truly seems difficult or involves some sort of "real" work. Maybe it just isn't turning out as well as we had hoped or we fear failure. For whatever reason, some unfinished work falls into the life of the handicrafter. And sometimes making the start seems overwhelming. For instance, that doll dress I promised Mother I would make. That project says "heirloom" sewing, and my tendency is to put that off until I develop more skill. When do you think that will happen? KW

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your coat pattern and fabric--I think it will be a great coat.

No school today! We must have gotten over a foot, and with the drifting, we're pretty much snowed in up here. Mom called to say they had gotten about 10 inches. Dad had already cleared their driveway, and two of their neighbors! He has a snow blower.

I'm off to finish the binding on the Christmas quilt, then I'll send you a picture.

debdog42 said...

I love that fabric! Now all you need are the gloves and a girdle!!! LOL!

Kathy said...

Chris -- I heard on the radio that Moscow schools were closed. I wasn't sure you'd think that was exactly a good thing -- except that you can sew, of course. We didn't have much snow but Asotin County in its infinite wisdom began plowing at 2:00 a.m.

Yes, that pattern does come from the era of the girdle. A girdle might improve my figure but I'm glad that trend went by the wayside. All kidding aside, I love the retro styles. KW

Hallie said...

A bit of snow overnight here in Seattle. Luckily, most was gone by morning. The city finally put SALT on the streets--the first time this year, I believe.