Saturday, December 12, 2009

INA’S CHRISTMAS LIST, 1934

In real time it's warmed up to a high at just below freezing. And so, yes, snow is predicted. We took the late afternoon walk amongst some light flakes. Any accumulation likely won't last long as the "warming" trend continues.

My blog theme this advent season is about gifts. Generally speaking, I wonder, is holiday gift-giving out of control in our country? Each family has to determine the appropriate holiday expenditure, of course. In my quest for the "retro" experience, I'm taking some cues from my Grandma Ina's Depression-era letters in which she fully outlined to my dad, her son Vance, her entire list of recipients. Incidentally, I read recently that spending for gifts in this country has always been disproportionate to income, even in lean years like the Depression.

Here's what Ina wrote in her pre-Christmas letter to Vance, my dad, in 1934:

"I'm standing the Xmas doing fine. Ruth [her niece] has been here two days helping for I'm making a dress for her of one of Ida's. Most of my letters and cards are written and my last box went off today. I forgot to tell anyone it would be a 'skimpy Xmas.' Pearl said she couldn't send presents. Nothing to sell tho they have vegetables, fruit, beef and pork and of course plenty of milk, butter, so they'll do, but Al had borrowed $600 on his salary to pay some bills and get stuff and it was all gone. . . . Ethel said this move would strap them and she couldn't do anything either. Well, anyway, you 'have done something' so here's hoping.

"We sent Pearl and Al a box. I sent that W. Mason bag to Pearl. She can make good use of it, and I never use it. It was so pretty and useful too, so decided it should go to Pearl. Also sent a pretty pincushion and Al two linen hankies; Stan a book and pencil sharpener like the one Aunt sent you. I also put in the little toy dog for Pearl, a relic of old reservation days – Ad Burns and his house burning – the dog went through the fire. I brought it from Drain. To Ethel and Ernest, a breakfast tablecloth. Shirley Jean a pencil sharpener and "The Patchwork Girl of Oz" book and a box of molasses popcorn and some to pop. To Shirley scissors, stationery portfolio, bottle of perfume for her purse, and I'm getting new curtains for her room, too, which she wanted. That makes me think of the bath rug I sent you. I've been wanting to sample store rugs so sent for this one and having seen will never get any more like it though it will make a bath mat. "To Myrtle an atlas she'd wanted and a lady doll to muffle her clock at night. I made the doll a full old-fashioned skirt of velvet lined and padded with cotton. I hope it fits. I also made her a pretty quilt end and a face cloth much as she likes and put in a box of that popcorn. That's all, I guess.

"We're giving June and Aunt [some family photos]. Doris, a stationery folder. To Ralph, field glasses -- surprisingly good for the price, too. Ruth gets a nice collar for the dress I'm making.

"I may fill little boxes with sugared popcorn, nuts, candy for the tree just to make it livelier. Shirley sent me a box with paper tags, etc., and some small stick candy and nuts for the boxes. We send a crate of eggs to town about every two weeks and it keeps us in groceries. I got candy, nuts, oranges, grapefruit, etc. We'll have to have some lettuce, celery, etc., come up for Xmas, too. Aunt is helping me out by doing some of the cooking – pies, cookies, etc. Earl's box has come and Myrtle's. I must close with love and all good wishes, tho that doesn't express it at all it seems to me. Mother – hugs & kisses."

I've wondered what Ina thought about those of her family who felt unable to send gifts while she herself, working from nothing, put her thought and efforts into sending "something." I know she could ill afford to do it, but it was important to her. Speaking of her simple gifts, she said, "People can do things like this if they want to. No use to let everything go because of hard times." And she approved of the effort her poverty-stricken son had made to send something. KW

[The photos were taken from the farmyard looking north from the house and date from the mid-1930s.]

2 comments:

Chuck said...

Our Christmas is going to be much leaner, too. We each have so much already, and don't need more "stuff". Some ideas we had were to replace a few items that have worn out, and are still used.

Carol said...

Speaking of Christmas giving, Max and I and Mother would like to suggest that instead of sending us a gift this year (and in the years to come) that you make a donation to a charity such as Salvation Army, Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, or any organization that helps those in need (humans or animals).

Carol