Monday, January 11, 2010

THE BASIC SEVEN FOOD GROUPS

The food list from the Victory Meat Extenders pamphlet as posted previously is really an oversimplification, and before we move on, I want to show the U.S. Government Chart as published on the back of Your Share, the General Mills pamphlet. I don't know if you can read the chart as scanned, so I'll type it out.

Group I -- Leafy green and yellow vegetables: 1 serving a day – raw or cooked

Group II – Oranges, tomatoes, grapefruit, raw cabbage or salad greens: 1 serving a day

Group III – Potatoes, other vegetables and fruits: 2 or more servings a day

Group IV – Milk (includes milk in soup, ice cream, etc.): 1 ½ pint to 1 quart a day for children; 1 quart a day for expectant of nursing mothers; 1 pint for other members of the family

Group V – Meat, poultry, fish, eggs: 3 or 4 eggs each week and 1 serving of meat, poultry or fish a day

Group VI – Bread, flour and cereals: 3 or more servings of enriched, restored or whole wheat cereal products a day

Group VII – Butter and fortified margarines: use daily as spreads and seasoning as your supply permits

In addition be sure to provide 400 units a day of Vitamin D in the form of Vitamin D milk, fish liver oil or Vitamin D concentrate for the expectant or nursing mother and for all growing children. Use any other foods you like or use additional servings from groups I, II, II and VI according to your preference and as the availability of these foods permit.

  • Eat something from each group every day
  • In addition to the Basic 7 . . . eat any other foods you want
  • Eating right keeps you healthy

This chart, used during World War II, is obviously an old model. Research changes all things. We now have the Food Pyramid, which can be found at mypyramid.gov. In fact, I taped my mini poster to the refrigerator.

What are some of the changes? Well, it looks to me like eggs have disappeared off the chart. That former staple of the American diet fell out of favor in the 1970s. Butter, margarine and spreads should be limited, as should sweets and salt.

Diet, nutrition, and exercise – It's not an easy subject. It's an education and a mindset that starts with the individual and then influences the family. It seems to me you almost can't do it unless you write down what you eat, at least initially. (You can find the forms at mypyramid.gov.) The question I ask myself is: Am I doing all that I can to educate myself and live within the parameters of good diet and exercise? KW

2 comments:

Hallie said...

I think the change in prescribed nutrition over the years is reason enough to disregard it. Don't eat butter--no wait, don't eat margarine. Eggs are good for you--eggs are bad for you. Eat lots of meat--don't eat meat. Eat only meat that flies. Sheesh! Who can keep up?

Chris said...

Not me! I just try to eat sanely and enjoy what I do eat. You're absolutely right, Hallie--back and forth, back and forth. It's enough to make the cook crazy. I blame it on grant money--"Must Have New Theory To Keep My Research Funded." Goodbye research, hello to thinking before I eat. :-)