Wednesday, February 17, 2010

ASSIGNED TO RADIO AND VISUAL

Jan. 1st, '43

Dear folks,

And may 1943 see us thru and see it thru. Mother, I apologize for not mentioning the testament and your picture. [Perhaps Ina sent him this portrait taken in 1940 -- "Mom, apple pie, and the American way."] Thanks for both. I was rather fuddled when I wrote the last letter for I received three other packages the day yours came and I was trying to keep who sent what separated in my mind. Tom and Phyllis Fairchild sent me a sewing kit – much nicer than the one I had purchased. The thread is on little spools and looks to be of good quality.

I believe I wrote you last Sunday after my leave was over. On Monday Lieut. Steig took me out of the "wire and switchboard" section and asked me how I'd like to try "radio and visual," another section of communications. He said he realized I was older than most of the men in our group and radio would not entail so much drilling. I hope it will prove that way. Anyhow I made something of a record picking up the first lesson in code and think I am about ready to pass the test in lesson two. [My dad once told me that the army was impressed with his ability to quickly learn the communication codes.]

This last week has not been very strenuous. However, I [was excused from] a 3 ½-hour hike night before last. Our platoon was to go out with full pack and rifle. I thought I might make it with pack but not if I had to carry both. So I went to the top sarge and asked to be excused from carrying rifle. He said 'all right by him' but that men should go on sick list if they thought they couldn't take it. I told him I thought I might be able to stand the hike with pack but not with rifle. He told me to get final permission from my platoon sergeant. I came back and told Sarg. Higdon, platoon sergeant, and he said 'perfectly all right,' so I got my pack ready and on and sat down on my bunk waiting for the time to take off. Higdon came up to me and asked me if I thought I should attempt the hike. I told him if I found I couldn't make it, I guessed I was privileged to drop out and come back. He looked thoughtful and said, "I tell you, you just stay here. I think you'd better not try it." Higdon is a young Texan and very popular with the men.

Now, I don't want you to think I am in a dangerous condition from this but the dregs of my cold have kept me down and as everyone knows these hikes are no pipe. I still cough a good deal at night but I am getting gradually better.

[Can you believe this? He's being prepared for war, but his superiors agree that he can drill without his rifle and finally kindly suggest that he just stay back. I think he was unquestionably sick – probably had pneumonia. And can you imagine what it was like for these young officers to have to train men old enough to be their fathers? I think unless you were pretty hardened, that would have been really tough, especially as you saw them sick and struggling. Gradually better? Perhaps. But I think the officers knew that strenuous exercise in the cold or a soaking with icy water might well put him in the hospital – or worse. What we don't know is how many were sick and hospitalized. KW]

4 comments:

Hallie said...

Do you have young-ish photos of Ina and Jack? Did Grandpa look like them? When did cameras become accessible to the regular household?

The photo in the last entry reminds me of Clinton. Kind of a smirk with a twinkle in his eye.

Kathy said...

The Warnocks have always claimed Clinton, and he does resemble them. But I have always thought that the Dobsons could own him, too.

I would have to research when cameras were practical for the average household. But I know that Ina had a camera and was taking pictures at the time the family moved to the homestead. We are blessed with pictures of this family. I wish Ina could have had a better camera -- just because she had that interest.

Yes, I do have a few "youngish" photos of Ina and Jack. I have a picture of Jack and June when they were about eight -- taken with their older twin sisters. And I have a "wedding picture." I won't interrupt this series with those but will keep it in mind.

Chuck said...

If I remember correctly, Camp White had a big controversy when some men died while on maneuvers in cold, wet weather. It must have been miserable, especially for the older draftees. That one decision could have spared his life, and you know what the results would have been if he hadn't made it.

Kathy said...

Daddy had a magazine about Camp White. It's on the farm. We plan to go up and check on things Sunday, so I'll pick it up. However, I don't expect it to present anything but positive info about the camp.

According to my research, Camp White was new at the time Vance was there, so they are experimenting with "old guys," training them in a cold, damp location.

Hallie, I missed your question -- Did Grandpa look like Ina and Jack? I think he did look like Grandma Ina's people -- the Dicksons. But as he got older and his bearing stiffer, farm neighbors who had known the family said he reminded them of Jack.