Thursday, February 11, 2010

BACK AT CAMP WHITE

Welcome to the M/W Homestead. We are currently posting letters written by my dad, Vance Dobson, while he was stationed at Camp White, Oregon, in 1942-3. The series begins at the posting of January 15. KW

[As the previous letter of December 26, 1942, closes, Vance explains the difficulties of getting discharged from the army. You have to prove yourself unfit to serve and then prove that you will be employed in defense industries including agriculture. He also relates that he has had contact with friends from his previous employment who have offered encouragement and support. They seemed to think his best option would be the "38-year ruling." Apparently a ruling that 38-year-old men are too old for service is pending. Now back at Camp White from his Christmas leave, Vance writes home again:]

Dec. 27, '42

Dear folks,

I got back to camp last night about 10 P.M. and didn't find it as bad as I felt it would be. There was no duty today. On Sundays unless we happen to have field drill of some sort we do not have to get up for roll call or breakfast, so this morning it was nearly ten before I crawled out. I had been told I had a wad of mail so I was looking forward to 12:30 mail call. I had packages from you, the Dave Andersons, the Bob Hannans, Mom and Pop Fairchild and Carney and Fern Phelps. Besides I had a half dozen greeting cards and a letter so you see, I had myself a field day.

Everything you sent was fine and your box was certainly attractive. The sox and tie are perfect and of course, the soap and razor blades ditto. I appreciated Stan's gift, too, and hope they'll let me hang the tie rack for I'd like to get the ties out of my foot locker. They are called foot lockers because they sit at the foot of the bed. They are plywood chests with a till in them. I sampled the pork cake and am sure it is like the old. Well, many thanks.

The Andersons sent me some candy, some mints and two packs of cigarettes. Hannans sent me a carton of cigarettes and the Phelps sent me a handsome billfold which I was glad for, for I hadn't a good one. Mom and Pop Fairchild sent me the service edition of Science and Health bound in khaki-colored leather and a date and nut cake. . . . . Aren't people wonderful? – some of them? Nellie and Howard [Gaylord] sent me a money belt and a couple of soap boxes I had requested. Russell and Frances Saling sent me a box of candy and cookies. The Schaefers sent me a most delicious box of homemade fudge plus a small fruitcake, and Bertha Lewis in South Bend sent me a box of home salted nuts and stuffed dates. So you see I have been very well remembered and am simply swamped with letters and "thank you" notes to be written.

5 comments:

Chris said...

Wow, your Dad really rated the Christmas gifts--what nice friends he had. I didn't realize your Dad had an interest in Christian Science, too.

Kathy said...

I thought the gifts were nice, too. Those sending them were good friends, but I think, too, that it was an effort to support a guy in the service.

My mother learned about Christian Science through Deliah Oud when Harriet was a baby and continued a quiet study. My dad learned about Christian Science from Mrs. Fairchild in the Raymond area, with whom he boarded for a time. So, when their paths crossed in 1946 or so, Christian Science was common ground.

DrJulieAnn said...

I stole some time today to catch up on my reading of the letters. I have to say a big "thank-you" for posting them. Although I am not related to you--except for us being kindred spirits--these letters engender a feeling of closeness to my own family. My father was in the Korean War and already had a master's degree when he was drafted, so he was older, too when he was inducted.

I cried about your story with the cassette tape. How I ache to hear my father's voice. I have an old LP that the church choir made and I can hear his deep bass on one of the songs but I don't have a turntable and I wore out the cassette from playing it so often. Of course, my LP's have been in storage for so long and have been moved across the desert a couple of times--I don't even know if they survived the move back to California.

Anyway, long and rambling message but I appreciate the time and effort you've put into these.

Hugs.

Hallie said...

Hi Dr. Julie-Ann,

I encourage you to explore transferring that cherished LP to CD. This is the company that Mom used to fix and transfer the cassette tape: http://www.reclaimmedia.com

I'm excited to hear my grandpa's voice. He passed when I was only 4. You should definitely preserve that sound--others in your family might appreciate it!

Best,
-Hallie

Kathy said...

I think Hallie will remember Grandpa's voice when she hears the recording.

Good to hear from you, Dr. J. I know you've been busy with your class and sewing for your brand new niece. I hope you have been well. Those World War II recipe/nutrition pamphlets I found reminded me of these letters my dad wrote from boot camp. I had been meaning to transcribe them for years. At least that's something I accomplished this winter -- one buffalo down, as Chris would say.