Monday, March 15, 2010

OUT ON MANEUVERS

[Again, Vance writes to tell the folks at home about his experience in basic training. I found I was able to scan some photos from a copy of "The Camp White Rogue," Vol. 1 No.1, that I found amongst Vance's things. The handwriting on the above is Vance's: "The tree above was the only full sized one in camp. Stands in front of Div. Headquarters." ]

Feb. 15 [1943]

Dear Mother and Dad,

I'm sorry time slips by so fast but so it does and as usual we have been going pretty fast. At least it seems fast but as I look back it seems we sit around waiting for orders a good deal of the time.

We went out on a field maneuver a week ago last Friday. We rose early and took off long before sun-up out toward Table Rock to the west of camp. A large share of the 91st was on the problem and it looked like quite an army when we got strung out with all the men and equipment. We stopped a lot on the way out for simulated airplane attacks of gas. At the order "Gas" we scattered to either side of the road after first putting our masks on. Off in the distance we kept hearing bombs exploding and as we progressed discovered the explosions were coming from the bridge across the Rogue River. As we neared the bridge we put on masks again and were given "on the double" which means a fast dog trot. Just as we got on the bridge the bombardment became fiercer and the explosions made the bridge tremble. Some of the soldiers got well splashed with water. There was a little fog drifting that morning and it seemed fairly dense on the bridge. Due to the exertion of running and the hard breathing I got a suffocating feeling so I pulled my mask loose and took a few deep breaths of air. On the first one my eyes started to sting and I realized what I had mistaken for fog on the river was tear gas. I snapped my mask back in place and found I could breathe after all rather than be gassed. We ran for a short distance after we crossed the bridge and it was a blessed relief when we got out of the gas area to take off our masks. I didn't get enough gas to bother but one or two other fellows did the same stunt I did and got a pretty bad dose. Of course they were the object of much ribbing. It was very realistic and good training. We hiked about 20 miles round trip and coming back we really hit a pace. I stood it fine except my feet blistered badly and the last few miles were pretty painful. My shoes are too big and every hike I've been on I have been more or less worse for wear. Guess I'll have to fill them up with socks but sometimes when you put on too many socks it is bad, too. As I said I felt fine otherwise.

[I love the photo on the left. The caption reads: "Brigadier General Percy W. Clarkson, U.S.A. Asst. Division Commander, Major General Charles H. Gerhardt, U.S.A. Commanding the 91st Infantry Division and Brig. General Edward S. Ott, U.S.A., the Division Artillery Commander, in front of Division headquarters. From 10 a.m. till 5 p.m. all men in the 91st train in the hot sunshine bared to the waist and general officers are no exception to this rule." My opinion is that Gen. Gerhardt indeed looks fit. I'm not so sure about the other two. Gen. Ott seems tense to me, like he's sucking it in for the camera.

The photo on the right is captioned as follows: "The commander of the 9st Infantry Division believes that officers should be able to perform as well as direct any task expected of their men. Pictured above: The Division Staff, led by Generals Gerhardt and Clarkson, are swimming the swift Rogue river, fully armed and with regulation packs." KW]

5 comments:

Hallie said...

Well, I'm not sure how fit those fellows are. They look pretty scrawny to me. ;)

Kathy said...

I think Gen. Gerhardt (man in the middle) was physically fit. But he was a small man and wiry rather than muscular. I believe the other two are not fit as we think of fitness. I can't think that every man was pleased to take his shirt off.

murray.warnock said...

You two are tough critics! I'll bet steak and potatoes were considered health food back then, and almost everybody smoked.

Kathy said...

Hi Murray! I didn't mean to be a tough critic on these men. I just didn't present the discussion or share my thoughts well. Gen. Gerhardt was a fitness nut at a time when fitness for adults wasn't generally promoted. He insisted that the men train without shirts and something about that just seems wrong to me. And it may be fine for officers to meet the same requirements as the men, but I just think an older guy -- especially one who isn't fit -- isn't going to be able to stay with the younger guy forever. He will need more rest.

And you're right about the food and the cigarettes. My dad gained weight in basic training. In the years I knew him he maintained a healthy weight through his work on the farm despite the fact that he loved food.

murray.warnock said...

You're right, Kathy. This was a time when most men probably didn't even go to a baseball game without a necktie. Working shirtless must have been uncomfortable.