Wednesday, May 5, 2010

EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS, 1950s

We have friends on the Mississippi Gulf Coast where it seems the next weather catastrophe is always just around the corner, mostly hurricanes. Now the Gulf Coast is bracing for the effects of the "worst oil disaster in history," which will affect their lives and their environment. One friend said he could smell the oil at his house, but an AP article in today's Trib states "that some are seeing and smelling oil where there is none." Some Mississippi friends have signed on to work as volunteers, washing water fowl and such, but the same AP article says no one knows why the jellyfish and water fowl are dying.

Considering the great devastation some areas of the world suffer because of natural disasters, it seems almost ridiculous to mention Monday's ferocious windstorm with gusts of 60+ mph here in the great Inland Northwest. The wind uprooted trees, caused electrical outages in some parts of town, and even jack-knifed a truck on the Interstate Bridge. Even so, our problems were light – no loss of life and most people just suffered minor inconvenience. I would hazard a guess that they probably didn't even hear about this storm in Mississippi. Still, it's the talk of our town.

"I couldn't do anything," said one of the ladies of the club. "We've become so dependent on electricity. Fortunately I had some baked chicken breasts in the refrigerator that I could use to make sandwiches for supper."

It just points out again how much we need to give some thought to disaster preparedness. Could you fix a meal without electricity? Do you have ready-to-eat food in your cupboard that would allow you and your family to survive several days without cooking? What about water? And – even though none of us can take on the world -- would you be able to help a neighbor with food and/or supplies?

The concept of preparedness has fascinated me since childhood – once I got over being traumatized, that is. Back in the '50s, people thought atomic war might be imminent, and in its infinite wisdom, the government made sure little school children were well-versed on what to do in the event someone dropped "the bomb." We were shown films in school including information on how to identify locations of bomb shelters (there was one in the basement of the post office in Orofino), how to prepare a bomb shelter in the basement of your house, and then what foods would be safe to eat when we finally crawled out. Yes, even though someone bombed you, you might survive just fine, but there would be weird stuff, called "fall-out," and it would affect your food. You could trim mold off of bread and eat it but moldy meat should be discarded – or something like that. You should throw away the mayonnaise because it contains eggs. It's hilarious when you think of it, isn't it? I wonder if they have those old films online.

And there was this audio signal, called the conelrad signal. Perhaps you've heard it because "they" will still use it when "they" want to get information to you – these days usually a weather warning. I think they just call it an emergency signal now. The radio station in Orofino would play it for a full minute at 1:00 p.m. every day. "This is a test and only a test," the announcer would say. "Had this been a real disaster, you would have been instructed to turn to channel 1250 for further instructions." Hey! It was a scary world I grew up in. Every bit as scary as anything you could tell me about the world today – and the government did it to us.

At some point, all of this bomb shelter preparedness stuff went away, and rather quietly, too. Apparently someone someplace (one of "them") realized how impractical these ideas of basement shelters were. We would probably kill each other fighting for places in the shelters because obviously we couldn't accommodate everyone underground, and then what kind of world would we come out to? The fall-out, which before was just affecting our food, would naturally have devastated our whole world.

But what remains for our consideration is emergency preparedness. I think we probably don't receive enough information or encouragement along these lines – from "them."

Today is "Cinco de Mayo," and every commercial email site to which I subscribe has sent recipes for tonight's Mexican meal. Instead I'm going with an old favorite – Bennie's enchiladas – made with pheasant.

[Top photo: The weather is still unsettled. Note the rain gutters on the shop / garage that Mike had installed last week. Bottom photo: Mule deer move through the field above the town house.] KW


8 comments:

Dr. Julie-Ann said...

Preparedness really hit home for me the first time I hear the "test siren" on the first Saturday of the month at noon. We had just moved to the midwest, I heard the siren and just about died from panic.

When I worked at UCLA, I was a "floor warden" which meant that I had to make sure everyone was out of the building safely and that someone had grabbed the emergency duffel bag (it was too heavy for me to carry).

For us, we need to be prepared for earthquakes or wildfires. I ordered an emergency backpack from the same people who supplies UCLA with their emergency kits after seeing the Hurricane Katrina devastation: http://www.sosproducts.com The backpack has a week's worth of water and "protein source" (a block of something you slice off into serving sizes but it supplies nutrients, if not blog-worthy flavor)

The stuff they taught us to do for earthquakes when I was a kid is no longer recommended but I still remember practicing hiding under our desks in case of earthquake OR the bomb.

Richard V. Shields III said...

Thanks for thinking of us. Everyone has a tendency to think of the problems that impact them directly as being the most serious, but few of us ever stop and consider how blessed we are in other ways. Yes, the Mississippi Coast has taken a couple of punches in the mouth in recent years but a great deal of the things we've lost is just "stuff". We are still grateful for the important things in our lives like health, safety, family, and caring friends.
Preparation is indeed a wonderful practice to minimize inconvenience, but we've found it rarely eliminates it. Sometimes "it" just breaks and you have to fix it. And often the fix is an improvement on what existed before. I guess that's an example of something good coming from something bad. Thanks again.

Chris said...

My house is normally chock full of food, so I guess I'm prepared. :-) We have a wood insert in the basement fireplace which we could use for cooking. Water would be a problem as we have our own well, which is useless without electricity. Guess we'd all do the best we could and see what happened.

Kathy said...

In researching "fall-out shelters," I discovered that the project started in 1960, signed by President Kennedy, so maybe I was a little older than I remember. And I didn't realize that since 2001 interest in such shelters has revived.

I'm not really paranoid about emergency preparedness. I just try to be prepared -- period. I like to be able to at least "make do" in my own daily life.

And Richard, I thought you would protest that you do too smell oil!

I'm not sure that either of my fireplace inserts would work for cooking, but I suppose we could rig up something in a pinch. We could at least roast mini-marshmallows, right?

Kathy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hallie said...

I don't really have a plan for disaster preparedness other than finding someone who does. Our electricity went out one day just before dinner so we went to the other side of our neighboorhood and enjoyed some burgers for dinner. :) Problem solved!

Richard V. Shields III said...

Indeed, I have smelled oil on two occasions. Both times have been with a very strong southwesterly wind. No protest because if I could get away with only the SMELL of oil, I'd sign a contract. Unfortunately, oil has already hit the Chandeluer Islands and Sand Island off Pass Christian today and is expected to impact Horn and Petit Bois Islands tomorrow. The projected extent of damage is unknown.
As an aside on preparedness, remember that absences of water render indoor toilets useless.

Kathy said...

If I don't have a plan, I hope to have food. If we're at the farm, we'll be like Chris -- the pump won't operate without electricity, but there would be water in the retaining tank that we could access, I think. If we're on the farm, it's no problem to designate an outdoor toilet. But, you know, it's hard to plan for an event that might not -- probably won't -- happen. I guess I just see it as a responsibility to have enough food to last for a while.