Friday, May 7, 2010

ANOTHER ONE DOWN . . .

When we got up this morning, it promised to be a beautiful day. The forecast hardly mentioned rain. Mike and I worked in the drought-tolerant perennial beds. It was a lovely day.

But about 2:30 this afternoon the sky began to darken ominously. Mike cleaned his shop and then hurried to get in a bike ride before the storm. He didn't make it, though. He's out there someplace in cycling shorts and it's pouring rain. Nellie and I had actually just set foot outside the house for our afternoon walk when a close flash of lightning was followed by a clap of thunder. It was hard explaining to her that I thought staying home was the best course of action. I think she understands now.

Here's a picture of different kind of flower bed created by the afghan I finished yesterday. Since every round of the separate medallions is a different color, there were lots of loose ends, and I spent hours tying them. I used up bits and pieces of yarn from my extensive stash to make this afghan with the exception of the white.

We saw Clint yesterday. He was in town to meet friends for their annual camping trip. He took time out from camping preparations to ride dirt bikes with Mike. Stopping back here, he raided my refrigerator and I gave him fresh-baked cookies. KW

6 comments:

Hallie said...

Wow! That's a very pretty afghan! Did you have to do each flower separately and then attach them with the white?

Kathy said...

Yes -- like a granny square afghan only hexagonal medallions. I enjoyed making it but you know how it is -- I know what the flaws are.

Chris said...

There are NO flaws!! It's HANDMADE and it's gorgeous!! Truly, Kathy, it is lovely--well done! And it's DONE!! A year from now you'll wonder why you thought it had flaws and you'll have to look and look to find "them"--which no one else will ever see.

No rain here, but after snow yesterday (!!!), dry clouds were just fine. :-)

Kathy said...

It's nice of you to say so, Chris, and I'm not going to belabor the point. I really enjoyed making it and wouldn't mind doing it again. I usually don't feel that way -- once is enough for most patterns.

Dr. Julie-Ann said...

That's a beautiful afghan, Kathy! Makes me want to get out my "How to Crochet" book and give it another go!

murray.warnock said...

Both of your "flower beds" are beautiful, Kathy. Happy Mother's Day!