Sunday, September 19, 2010

THE FARMERS' WIVES, 1919

Farmers' wives taken at the "Cunningham Sale," June 1919, Gilbert, Idaho
I love to look at this picture, taken at Gilbert, Idaho, in 1919, as the Cunningham family sold their farm -- their homestead -- and their belongings. Yes, they sold out and moved, but I know nothing more about it. But -- someone thought to gather the ladies -- every one a farm wife -- and take this wonderful photograph. Perhaps someone recognized the end of an era. Indeed, I think we're sitting on the brink of change, so to speak, as this picture was taken.

My family is represented in the photo. The lady on the left with black umbrella is my great-aunt Bertha Dickson Dobson, and beside her is her sister-in-law, Ida Chandler Dickson, for whom the Senter house of previous posts was built. The next person in the back row -- shorter than others -- is my grandmother, Ina Dickson Dobson. Seated furthest left is Mrs. Cunningham. The rest were identified by Grandma many years ago and though I recognize the family names, I really don't know these women by face or character.

The first thing I note is their attire -- simple dresses or skirts and blouses except Bertha who is perhaps a bit overdone in a fashion from ten years earlier. (She's clearly more dressed up than the others, and I suspect she didn't come to work, as maybe the others did.) And Mrs. Cunningham's dress looks new. But things are changing and by 1930 -- another ten years -- the hemlines will have risen, making it easier and safer for a woman to do her work in house and yard.

Notice how there are no young faces -- no, not one. Ina, for instance, is 48 (born in 1870) and Bertha 51 or so. In 1919, they had been farming here in the Gilbert country for almost 25 years, and I expect that's true of the others. Ina and Bertha were young wives in their mid-20s when their husbands took on homesteads. Perhaps others were also young wives -- or even in middle age -- when a farm in this place became not only her family's home but its livelihood. Gradually the old families will sell out and fade away, and occasionally a young family will appear on the ridge, but it's not a growing community. In 1920 -- just about the time of this photo -- the post office at Gilbert closed and the official address here became Orofino.

And then I love to look at them and think of what they know. Regardless of her individual standards, each one has learned lessons as she worked with her husband to build a life in this place. Each holds within her a wealth of practical knowledge in the rural home arts, and most would be willing to share, I think. Any one of them could tell you how to make elderberry jelly, how to care for a sick child or a sick cow, the best way to whiten your laundry. Before long technology will replace the horses with tractors, make the wood stove and wash board obsolete, and bring the world to their doors in the form of the radio. The down side is that now they need money to keep up, and the farm was mostly about subsistence living.

Can you add anything to my observations? What do you see in this image? KW

[The original post included incorrect ages for Ina and Bertha, which I subsequently corrected.]

7 comments:

joanne said...

I wonder how often they would get together and in what capacity; i.e. church group, women's club, harvest and family socials, etc. How far apart did they live? They look comfortable with each other. This is an interesting photo.

Kathy said...

Yes, that's good -- "comfortable with each other." I have wondered, too, how often neighbors saw one another. There was a lot of activity around the community church and the school, of course. And I think there were some community dinners. I don't know much about these things.

drMolly, the BeanQueen said...

I see strength and hope and love. This is the way the ladies would have survived and still looked as happy and satisfied as they do in this picture. So often in older pictures the people look so dis-satisfied. It's wonderful to know that this was not always the case.

Chris said...

They do (well, except for one or two in the front row) look happy. Like they've been having a good time. And I have to remind myself that some people (myself included) are not necessarily photogenic. It's a great picture! How fortunate you are to have it and have it labeled!!

Hallie said...

I agree with the others that it's refreshing to see a photo where they're smiling. There's at least one photo of yours where a couple people are smiling and it's been caught by the camera by accident. It looked like someone made a joke and the older folks were not amused.

Richard V. Shields III said...

As interesting as the photo is, equally interesting was your comment re "sitting on the brink of change". Insightful. I can't help but wonder how these women would react today. Obviously, they would likely welcome the inventions and conveniences that would make their life easier, but would they give up their fierce independence and pride in personal responsibility and accomplishment? And would the sense of 'community' be as prevalent?

Kathy said...

Mike points out that no matter how happy they might look, my grandmother isn't smiling -- as usual.

I had help with the insight, Richard, but I applied it to this photo.