Wednesday, October 27, 2010

FALL -- AT LAST!

Mike and I enjoyed a beautiful drive to the farm along the Clearwater River yesterday afternoon. Shades of yellow, red and orange along the riverbank were set off against the evergreens. I didn't notice reflection in the water as we sometimes see. It was overcast and even rainy.
The temperature was about 40 when we arrived at the farm. Just last week the afternoons were still warm -- nearly 70. This week is a different story. Mike soon had a cheery, warm fire in the fireplace insert, and I helped by baking sweet potato pound cake in the oven. This morning at 6:00 it was 36 and drizzly. Outdoor activities -- like hunting deer or planting spring bulbs -- just don't appeal. Well, one would be hard-pressed to find a deer on a day like today, especially here on the ridge. The deer are likely in the canyon. But -- I figure that's why they call it hunting.Still, we avoid the canyon because a hunting preserve is located there -- and besides, pulling one's quarry up the steep hillside is a trial, as several can attest. Mike was just saying that he might go out and scout for fresh tracks today. I told him it seems like if he wants to get a deer he should do something. So, if you're keeping score, the deer are way ahead of Mike.

Since we arrived, it's been all about making do. I had the feeling I was not well-prepared for this stay, and I discovered I was right. The sweet potato cake had to be made with bread flour -- I have no other and I'm low on that. Supper was a new concoction -- Kathy's easy cheesy pheasant enchiladas -- since we have no canned chilies or salsa. I'm low on butter and margarine, limiting cookie baking. And I'm uncertain if Mike knows yet that I failed to bring extra undershorts for him. Oh well. We'll cope.


This pretty little maple has been struggling to grow. "Uncle" Dan, the forestry man, suggested more water, and I did find that helped. The tree just doesn't seem to take off and grow, but as you can see, the leaves are pretty. The leaves of the maple in the front yard are standard yellow and green -- not spectacular. I think my dad found that tree as a sapling and transplanted it here after we burned the old cabin down. It's probably about 40 years old.

The middle photo is of the spyrea bush which is abundant in brushy places here. I suspect the family transplanted this bush to the yard many years ago, so I feel sentimental about it. A rodent has made a home in its roots, and I thought we had lost it this spring. However, much to my surprise it made a comeback. KW

5 comments:

Chris said...

Loved this post. So cozy and the pictures are perfect fall photos. I so love this time of year!

I know the need-supplies feeling. Last night I was in the process of stirring up muffins to have with the leftover split pea soup when I discovered I was out of eggs. (I haven't been in the mood to go to the store and we used all our eggs over the weekend when John and family were here.) I had to send Dan to the neighbors to borrow. Bless his heart, we went. Wonder how much longer I can go without shopping?? The neighbors have chickens, so maybe I'll...nah, that would be wrong.

Undershorts? Well, there's always rinsing out in the sink. :-)

Kathy said...

We have to be in the mood to do the store successfully, don't we?

Borrowing -- When I was growing up, neighbors borrowed on occasion. I think some of that was because stores weren't open into the evening the way they are now. When I was first married, we had a neighbor who borrowed, or rather traded. She would leave chicken noodle soup for cream of mushroom. It was Murray who noted, "But that's not the same thing!"

I'm ahead of you on rinsing in the sink. If I can just get them dry before tomorrow morning, he'll think he has two pair instead of one!

Chris said...

Well, I do always pay back. Although once when I borrowed from these same neighbors (I think it was an egg then, too), they said they'd rather have a few of the cookies I was making. :-)

Pffff, pffff, can you tell I'm trying to send you some warm air to help dry?? :-)

Kathy said...

"Say, do I have any underwear?" Mike asked this afternoon. So, I explained. And I finally figured out what happened. I had left extra clothes here, but that was prior to Elderberry Fest. Well, the other side of the issue is that he could watch his own stuff a little more closely.

Chris, if your neighbors have chickens, undoubtedly they have eggs and would prefer a different sort of payback.

Hallie said...

Chris, I'm wondering if you have an award-winning delicious recipe for split pea soup? If so, it would save me a lot of experimentation if you'd share. :) It is DEFINITELY soup season. Love it!

Those unders should dry quickly in front of the fire. I think you'll get away with it.

I was in Bellingham today and the leaves were beautiful there, too.