Monday, November 8, 2010

CHANGES


The change from daylight savings to standard time is always difficult. Seems like my inner clock is just out of whack and we do everything late. Mike had a nice solution for the first day (Sunday). We went to the second matinee of Secretariat, which started at 3:30 (4:30 by the inner clock). Evening movie times don't work well for us – usually something like 6:15 and 9:15. The dark and rainy afternoon was perfect for taking in a movie and then we picked up a Papa Murphy's calzone for supper.

Today we headed to the farm as soon as breakfast was over. We had an appointment to meet a workman there, and all of that was taken care of. Mike took advantage of the light-filled east dormer and sturdy table in order to do some leatherwork. I enjoyed some quiet hours of reading before the fire.

And I watched the weather. It was 39 when we got there and I never saw the temperature above 40. By 2:30, it had dropped to 37 with a wind chill of 25. I watched the storm roll in and took some pictures.

When I took the first pictures, photo ops seemed rather lackluster, but soon the sun began to cast an eerie light over the prairie, playing through the clouds. 
 Here's an example of eeriness. Everything has a shadow -- even me! Note that the maple tree is beginning to look bare. If you look closely, you can just make out the rainbow.


Here's a better picture of the rainbow. See how the sunlight shines on the field from the southwest while the northern sky is dark with a storm.



We left the farm about 3:15. None too soon. An icy rain commenced that was nearly snow as we turned off Curfman Road. That didn't last long. Intermittent showers were rain. No rain in Lewiston. That's the way elevation works.

7 comments:

Chris said...

Great pictures!

This time change is much easier for me than the one in the spring. That one takes me weeks to get used to. :-(

The weather here in Colorado has been amazing!! We watched Ryan play soccer on Saturday and it was about 80, but the tops of the mountains were white with snow. Must say it felt truly strange for November.

And yes, Christmas things are on full display at Hobby Lobby. :-)

Hallie said...

Those are some awesome pictures! I especially like the shadow of the photographer in the first picture of the rainbow. I believe that pot of gold is within walking distance. ;)You were sure right about the maple tree--those leaves are nearly all gone and it won't be long before there's not a leaf to remember.

Oh, and I HATE the time change. It's completely unnecessary and I'm really steamed about it right now.

Kathy said...

The weather has always been great when we visit Denver at Halloween time. But you said it -- you can see the snow on the mountains.

OOOOh! Hobby Lobby! -- so envious.

Oh yes -- certainly. The pot of gold was right down there in the draw.

DrJulieAnn said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this posting. I am feeling so city-bound and it was just what my restless soul needed--the photos, the quiet conversation, the acknowledgment that the time change has an impact, the weather!

Perfect!

Kathy said...

When I think how my Grandma Ina appreciated news of the world through her radio, I am so touched that through computer from this same remote location I am able to share ideas with friends/family in Denver, Seattle, and Los Angeles.

murray.warnock said...

Wonderful photos, Kathy. The lawn area in front of the farmhouse looks much more green and filled in than I ever remember. I'll bet the farm has never been so beautiful.

Kathy said...

And now I'm talking to Philadelphia.

Well, of course, the ground goes back to grass if there's nothing else planted. For several years your dad wanted to replant the lawn, but I talked him out of it. It's not a lovely lawn but this way it's not a tragedy if some rodent digs a hole. It's also manageable in this environment.

I think the beauty of the farm is a matter of being aware of what's happening in the sky and watching the effects over the fields. That makes it an ever-changing scene.

Nice to hear from you Murray.