Monday, November 1, 2010

POTS

"Aunt" Chris over at Miller's Last Resort has posted an "info-mercial" on today's pressure cookers. She's having a wonderful time experimenting with recipes. It sounds like a case of "so many recipes -- so little time." Meanwhile, today I went to WalMart and bought myself a new Crock Pot. If you're interested in knowing more about today's pressure cooker, check out "Miller's Last Resort" through the link under "Other Interesting Sites" on the right side of this page.

Speaking of pots, I started married life with two Crock Pots in avocado green -- two- and three-quart models. Along the way I added two larger models but continued to use the old avocado green pots. Occasionally I would wonder why I put up with them -- so hard to clean since the crock and the outer shell are one. And there was no excuse for not replacing them because Crock Pots, especially the smaller models, are really inexpensive. But they still worked and worked well, so I just put up with them. Until a couple of weeks ago, that is.

I was cleaning the smaller of the pots when it overbalanced and fell into the sink, cracking the crock. "That's that," I said to myself. "WalMart, here I come."

So today at WalMart I replaced the old green model with a fresh-looking white model. Cost: $10.00. We'll try it out with a game bird dish tomorrow. KW

9 comments:

Hallie said...

Nick took his contest chili to work today in our crock pot. As he was packing it up I was struck with a vision of a green bag that zips up around the pot keeping the lid and cord secure. I guess that bag is in a box in storage. Figures.

Kathy said...

You didn't say if Nick won.

I thought you were going to say that the green zip bag was your million dollar idea. We so seldom carry prepared food out of the house, I would probably store such an item myself.

Hallie said...

As Nick said, he was "robbed". The winner of the chili AND the name was the event organizer and the person who counted the ballots. Hmmmm. He didn't think it was his best batch--there's always next year.

Chris said...

I think we must have been the only people married in the '70's who didn't get a crock pot or a fondue set. We finally got a crock pot for Christmas of (I think) '75 from mom and dad. It was a big one and I used it until a few years ago. The crock did come out, but it was round and not everything would fit in easily. I got a new 6 qt oval one a few years ago and I love it. There are times I think a smaller one would be nice, but so far I haven't done anything about it. :-) I do use my pot quite often.

Hallie, the cook off sounds a little suspicious!!

debdog42 said...

I also received Rival Crock Pots for weddings gifts, 3 in fact! LOL! I loved my old one best of any I've had. The newer ones cook way too hot and the lids, even though they are glass, don't hold in the steam as well so there's a mess of hot water all over. They also rattle. And in the DW water gets under the knob (on the 3 qt. anyway) and you have to take it off for it to dry. The old models lids were all one piece.

debdog42 said...

I wanted to tell all of you that still use older Crock Pots that they sell disposable plastic liners for them that are nice! Kind of like the roasting bags, easy clean up!

Kathy said...

I have one of those large round Crock Pots, too. The crock cracked and rather than order a new one, I watched at Goodwill until -- sure enough! -- one showed up. I paid $2.99 to replace that crock. Of course, I waited an eternity, but then I wasn't using that pot much anyway. And I also have one of those oblong ones with the "keep warm" feature. It's just that for the two of us, I don't need the big pots often.

And Deb, when my old pot broke, Clint's comment was, "Keep the lid." But I don't think it fits the newer pots. However, I didn't notice that the old lids fit especially well. One of the old lids broke and the replacement didn't fit well, although it seemed to be the right size.

Those sacks are great. I keep those on hand, too. I would probably use them more if they came in smaller sizes.

Chili contest: Sounds like the organizer was also jury and judge. All the contestants were robbed. When I worked in the state building, our office was occasionally asked to judge another agency's contest. Fun!

murray.warnock said...

Kathy, I remember many wonderful meals in the late 70's coming from that crockpot - doves in sour cream, chicken soup, chili. I'm impressed that it lasted as long as it did.

Kathy said...

I'm so pleased that your memory of our meals is positive, Murray. After all, I was a bride and had never cooked much, though I was ready for "trial by fire." I worked with the little book that came with the crock pot. Today we have such a variety of ideas at our fingertips.