Thursday, December 23, 2010

PUTTIN' THE PARTY TOGETHER

Aunt [Bertha, Ina’s sister] helped me out by dressing a fat young rooster and bringing it ready for the roaster. She also insisted on making pies since I had my hands full – mince and pumpkin. One of each would be plenty, I said, but no – here came two each and ginger cookies frosted. She’d tried a new recipe. So we had mince and pumpkin pie with whipped cream on it, ginger cookies, fruit cake and do-nuts, and fruit and whipped cream for that, coffee, oranges, nuts and candy besides the after dinner mints. Well, we just parceled out the leftovers. Mr. Boehm got half of each kind of pie. I believe Mrs. Cordell got a whole pie, some donuts, cookies, and buns. Mr. Boehm also got some of each. Bertha got the remains of the roast, buns and donuts, and this is how we do. It was a good day. Ina Dobson on Christmas 1935

You know, when it came to December 23, my mother would pull an "all-nighter" in order to be ready for the Christmas Eve party. One year I stayed up and helped her. Something inside me said, "It isn't worth this," and to me, it isn't. But if people are coming to your house, you must be ready for them -- with food, gifts, accommodations.

One day as I pondered my mother's ability to pull together this event, I realized she had a lot of help. My dad could be trusted to do something beautiful outside. Nina helped with the baking. Harriet and her husband would arrive early with a cheese ball and help with last-minute details. Joni was a great Santa helper.

CHEESE BALL (Harriet's recipe)
1 jar Roka Blu Kraft spread
1 jar Old English Kraft spread
12-16 ozs. cream cheese
Cheeses should be a room temperature. Blend with spatula or wooden spoon. Chill. Form in one large or two small balls. Roll in chopped nuts. (Substitute any cheese spreads.) As I recall, Harriet often rolled the balls in crushed cereal rather than nuts.


The card here was sent to Ina by Naomi Stinson Long, my maternal great-great-aunt. Yes, she was my Grandmother Nina Portfors' aunt. And she's the lady that insisted on dressing my rag doll, Mopsy. Yes -- all these people knew one another. KW

2 comments:

Chuck said...

This year, I have felt there is too much materialism in the Christmas ritual. I liked how they did it in the old (1930's and 40's). Most of the gifts were hand made, and very simple. I find it hard, though, not to give significant gifts to those I love. Maybe He will understand. His gift to us was the grandest of all. Merry Christmas.

Leah said...

My goodness, Kathy, your mother really liked to entertain. It was a choice she made )(cooking and baking so much), but I have a feeling that she was satisfied with her hostess skills.

The open space inside this card is interesting. It just begged for a personal message from the sender.

Here's something to think about. The world is full of givers and takers. The takers eat better, but the gives sleep better.