Monday, February 28, 2011

What lovely skin she had . . .

On the previous post, Leah commented that Ina had lovely skin. Here’s what Ina had to say on the subject:

“Well, it’s nice to be called ‘the prettiest girl in the class.’ It was a moot question in those days; some thought I was pretty and some thought otherwise, but there was no question about my eyes, the color of my hair and complexion and of course, in those days we didn’t know how to make the most of our good points.”

And here’s what her sister Bertha had to say: “When Mrs. Chase and Mrs. Moss were here this fall, Mrs. Chase told me she knew Ina and me both by that class picture in the Journal. I was in hopes I had gotten over looking silly. Mary W. E. wrote that one woman she showed the picture to thought me the best looking girl in the class. ‘Course I’m glad she did but don’t admire her taste. I told Ada about it and she said ‘was Ina in the class?’ and Ina should have thanked her for the compliment but I didn’t appreciate it a bit.”

The photo is of the three girl graduates from Lakeview (Oregon) High School, 1889 – Ina on the left, her sister Bertha on the right. The class also included several young men. Apparently the class photo was printed in The Oregon Journal sometime in the early 1930s, which occasioned comment as to who was the fairest in the land. 

Note the fancy dresses. My mother told me that it was customary for girl graduates to have a lovely dress for the ceremony, and when she graduated in 1927, she and some of the other girls decided that they would forgo the dress in deference to those whose families couldn’t afford it. However, she said, one of the poor girls approached her and asked that they reconsider. The classmate told Mother that their families had scrimped and saved for months so that this special dress might be made / purchased for graduation. It was their chance for something extra special, and the well-meaning graduation committee was taking it away. And that’s how important high school graduation was. KW

7 comments:

Hallie said...

I think the most attractive is the person in the chair, but Ina is standing on the left, yes?

Did Grandma's class do the graduation dress after all?

Kathy said...

Yeah -- we're not related to the person in the chair. She doesn't count, I guess. Looks like she was a bigger gal -- probably why she's in the chair. Yes -- Ina on the left.

Yes, the class of 1927 had their special dresses. I don't know what Mother's was like. In those days they didn't wear robes.

Chris said...

It looks as if all three dresses have the same edging at the hem. And perhaps all three dresses are alike?? I also notice they have on some type of lace partial gloves.

I had a new dress for graduation, but who could tell under the robes?!? I remember that it was yellow. :-)

Kathy said...

Interesting observation on the dresses, Chris -- and entirely possible they were mostly alike. Fabric and notions were probably limited. Or perhaps they sent off to Chicago for yards of fabric, lace edging, and ribbon. It would be such fun to know.

Yes, I had a new dress for graduation, too. Not Hallie, though. She refused. I'm sure she wore shorts and a tank top under her robe with the blessings of school administrators. It's hot in there.

Leah said...

It's funny to read comments from women so long ago talking like girls do today...about who was the best looking. Beauty then, as today, comes from within. If a woman feels comfortable with herself, her exterior beauty is enhanced. Remember the comment I made about Ina's skin was made in the context that she was 70 years old. Yes, she was a striking beauty when she was young, but to have such lovely skin at 70 isn't something every woman's good fortune.

I graduated from H.S. in 1955 and we had a dress for our Senior Prom, one for the Senior banquet, as well as one to wear under our gown at the graduation ceremony. My mother sewed all of them. The prom dress had a baby blue satin top with sequins and a 3/4 length net skirt. The 2nd one was a sleeveless pale blue sheer cotton with tiny printed white flowers and rows of ruffles covering the upper bodice. Long black satin ribbons were tied at the waist and flowed down the front. The skirt was just below the knees and very full because of a large fluffy petticoat. A little jacket, of the same fabric, with cap sleeves covered only the shoulders and was worn for a more modest look. The 3rd dress was a street length white sheath of dotted taffeta with a small clutch purse in matching fabric. I still have 2 of the 3 dresses. The white one is long gone. It went to "dress heaven" the place where all happy dresses go.

Thanks for the wonderful photo and the insight into the Dickson girls lives.

Leah said...

Ohmygosh. I just looked at the picture closer. Someone's wearing a corset. Look at Ina's tiny waist! Bertha also has a small waistline. Since the hourglass figure was valued in that day, that may be why these lovely ladies were standing, which is what Kathy said. The one in the middle is not small.

Kathy said...

Leah -- I really enjoyed reading about your formals. My mother made formals for my sisters in that same era. I never learned to sew for my daughter. She wore jeans and t-shirts like everyone else.