Thursday, June 7, 2012

NELLIE'S EXERCISE RUN


Ordinarily when Nellie and I go for our walk, Mike has already left the yard on his bicycle. We established this practice years ago when she used to try to chase after Mike as he rode by. Today we got it backwards, though. I was leaving for the walk about the time Mike decided to get ready for his ride. Nellie and I were just at the top of Plank’s Pitch when Mike caught us and rode on by, picking up speed. When Nellie saw him, her youthful instinct to follow kicked in and she took out after him lickity-split. I didn’t have her whistle, and I knew it was useless to call. I also knew it was useless to chase after her, but I did some fine speed-walking.

I hoped that Mike would notice her and make sure she turned back, but when I got to the mailbox and she was nowhere in sight, I realized she was likely still running after him. Unless he slowed for some reason, she wasn’t going to catch him. So, after retrieving a package from the neighbors, I started back to the farmhouse, checking over my shoulder every 10 steps. 

I suppose I was a third of the way to the house when I saw her trotting along behind me. I waited for her to catch up, and when we reached the big puddle she plopped right in and commenced to lap the water.

Once we were at the house, she sat down to wait for her master. I could tell by the set of her back that she was a little worried that she was in trouble – that maybe she would have some ‘splainin’ to do.

When she saw Mike coming she went quickly to the top of the lane, but instead of greeting him as he approached, she disappeared into the tall grass. I was the one who had to explain that Nellie had followed and was now worried that she might be in trouble for not keeping up. She was so relieved when Mike called her to him for an affectionate pat that she did a joyful dance. KW

4 comments:

Hallie said...

That Nellie is such a sweetheart. I'm glad there was a happy ending.

Kathy said...

Nellie still needs a good run now and then, and she hasn't had enough good exercise lately what with all the rainy days. After a run she needs about a day to recover and always has.

Chris said...

I agree with Hallie. :-) And after reading your comment, Kathy, it sounds like the little "excursion" may have been a good thing for Nellie.

Leah said...

Aaaah. A dog's life.

Fantastic photo of the farm. Nice framing. Great color. Perfect depth of field.