Saturday, August 11, 2012

OUT WITH THE OLD . . .




“Out with the old” doesn’t sound like my philosophy, does it? But it felt really good to give the white furniture to a growing family. The “next generation” princess arrived this morning so that her daddy and Uncle L.J. could load up the furniture for her room. This is a picture of Allyn and her mom. Allyn's baby brother will arrive in October, so she needs a new bed.
 

Allyn was more interested in the process than in the furniture -- typical two year old.



Grandma Becky, my niece, supports the foot of the bed while the headboard is loaded. She remembers when the bedroom suite was brand new.



Allyn helps her Great-Uncle L.J. with a drawer.

“Thank you so much,” they said as they left

“No, thank you!” was our response.

 

Here’s an old “before” picture of the room.


 


And here’s a new “before” picture. No matter what, the room is still small, but I have big plans for it. I want a lot of storage as much as I want a place to sew. Storage is so important to sewing and collecting. Mike and I agreed that we would waste no time getting the sewing room arranged, especially since I made 25 trips to the garage to stack boxes of stuff I cleaned out of the furniture, so this afternoon we visited Home Depot for fliers on the do-it-yourself storage cupboards.  

“If we were smart,” I suggested, “we would get the sofa sleeper first and then work around it.” Mike agreed, so we shopped Lewiston’s three furniture stores and returned to the first for the only one I really liked. It’s red with multi-colored throw pillows and a compact frame. Mike thought it was comfortable and said he would sit on it and watch me sew. The seller will deliver on Monday. KW

3 comments:

Leah said...

What a happy day for all. That little girl won't remember a time when she didn't have the white bedroom set. I love before & after photos. Finishing a room is exhausting & when you take photos to show the progress, it really gives you satisfaction.

Stay with the Home Depot idea for shelving. There is a store in Calif. called The Container Store. They sell everything to put things on or in. They even sell cases for collectible dolls, baseballs, etc. So that's good. But their shelving is very expensive. That's bad.

My den has a daybed and Mike was spot on. The daybed first and then work around that. What fun you're going to have!

Hallie said...

Allyn sure looks like her daddy! It was nice that L.J. could come along and help. You surely did make quick time finding the day bed--that kind of task would take us 6 months.

Kathy said...

It was nice to see L.J. He gave me gardening tips and said the bird family in the eaves trough, which I incorrectly identified as goldfinches were really "king birds." He said they fit the profile -- very territorial.

We have a "git 'er done" attitude toward the room. I have done a lot of armchair shopping and defined my parameters, which limits choices. Make decisions and move on. The sofa will be great. The sleeper -- maybe not so much. But we have guests so seldom.

Hi Leah! We're looking at Closet Maid cabinets. Since we assembled one for the utility room, we know what they are. Would I like to have something nicer? Sure! But this is a workroom, not a show place. It will look fresh and clean and hide my stuff, some of which is rather homely.

Stay tuned for updates.