Sunday, March 24, 2013

"What are you doing today?"



I slept in a bit this morning. Then I sat around in my robe and slippers, reading the paper and sending email messages while sipping cocoa. About 9:30 I began to think about what I would do today, but something told me that Mike would have a suggestion. I decided I should get dressed.
 
“What were you planning to do today?” asked Mike as I donned my sweatshirt.

“Work some more on my iPad,” I began. “Perhaps bake a batch of oat bran cookies. And I’d like to organize some sewing projects and straighten the sewing room.”

“What would you think about going to the farm?” he asked. “We could take stuff up there and check on things. And I could bring the 4-wheeler back.”

You know -- that’s the trouble with retirement. Life lacks structure. And that’s the beautiful thing about retirement – life lacks structure and there’s really no reason you can’t drop everything to pursue a whim. I could have said no, but on the other hand, we needed to go.

So – we got ready and off we went. When we got there, Mike went to the barn straightaway while I went to the house. I found a couple of things I wanted. Then I toured the yard with Nellie close on my heels. We could hear Mike trying to start the 4-wheeler – “*@%^&*” – and we agreed it would be best to steer clear of the barn for a while.

Instead we noticed the signs of spring in the yard:

 – a patch of spinach I planted late in the fall;


 
sincere strawberries well-mulched in a tire bed;




 

the Crown Imperial frittalaria growing rapidly on the sunny side of the house . . . 

and lagging behind somewhat in the shade of the porch;


 


rhubarb making an appearance at the pond;

 



and daffodils beginning to bloom in the grove.

Now, back in January when we closed the house, Mike managed to lose the only key he has to his Yamaha XT street-legal dirt bike. Searching for the key was difficult because of the snow on the ground, so son Clint came early in February with a metal detector and they tried again to find the key by re-tracing Mike’s steps between the house and the barn. No luck.

And we looked again for the key today -- on the ground in the barn and on what few surfaces we have there. 

At lunch, Mike mentioned how strange it was to have lost that key, whereupon I lectured him on the effects of distraction. (I guess I hurt his feelings, so it’s probably best not to mention this again.)

We took a quick ride on the 4-wheeler out south of the house, circling around June's place to the east. The fields are still wet and muddy, but the pond is not overflowing and we didn’t notice heavy run-off. It will probably be another dry summer. Some water stands in the fields and Nellie took the occasion to cool herself in one. (She had to have a bath when we got back to town.)

And then it was time to leave. As I stood at the edge of the kitchen porch I happened to look down – just where the lid to the septic tank access sits in the yard. And I saw it – THE KEY. I know Mike is really relieved to have that key. I know there will be a second key soon.

As we drove out we saw a swan at the Curfman Pond.  KW

5 comments:

Hallie said...

That's a very good day! I went shopping and was very quickly overwhelmed by the crowd. I couldn't leave fast enough! Needless to say, no new outfits were purchased. Yesterday I bought three very cute plants for my window sill at work. I'm having trouble finding just the right pots. There is a Russian pottery store at the market that I think I'll explore. If they have plant pots, they would be very interesting AND would have a nice story to go with them.

M/W said...

It was a beautiful morning, cold but sunny. After a brief walk with Nellie and while it was still below freezing I went up in the field behind the house and scooped up all the frozen dog turds which I had been wanting to do for some time. On our way to the farm we stopped in Orofino and found a geocache that had been eluding us for months. Things at the farm were in reasonable good shape (and I didn’t curse at the 4-wheeler) and finding the motorcycle key made my day. After returning to town I washed the 4-wheeler, trailer, truck and dog before getting a good hot shower myself. Then some relaxed reading in front of a warm fire followed by a delicious supper prepared by Kathy. All that activity and no back pain. Life is good.

Kathy said...

One of the good things about retirement is being able to shop when others aren't. Usually other shoppers don't bother me too much because I never try on at the store. But I have to be highly motivated to purchase if the line at the cutting counter is long at Jo-Ann's.

Something about Macy's gets to me. I think it's the perfumes. When I shop there, the time comes when I just have to get out of there.

Chris said...

Maybe two extra keys? Or even three? One to have hanging in each house "just in case", one for his pocket, and one for your purse? You just never know...

And moving on to the theme Hallie started, I hate to shop. Crowds and I don't do well, I'm appalled by the clothes offered today, both the styles and the shoddy construction, and last, give me a pair of jeans, a top, and I'm good to go. Once a year through the mall is more than enough for me. Unless said mall has a cool kitchen shop or quilt store.

Kathy said...

Mike and I are getting ready for a big trip -- and taking comfortable old clothes. Like you, Chris, a pair of jeans (more like denims in my case) and a top -- and that's it. In a way it's wonderful. In another way, I sometimes feel guilty for my lack of style and coordination. I do try to coordinate my socks, but on this trip, that might not even happen.

One thing is certain -- more than one key is advisable.

Hallie -- I wonder if I have any pots you would like.