Wednesday, April 10, 2013

BACK TO SWEATSHIRT WEATHER



It was 76 in Memphis Monday (April 8). I donned a sweater in anticipation of our return to the Pacific Inland Empire in the evening but had to trade it for a short-sleeved top. However, what was comfortable as we flew out of Little Rock at 8:00 p.m. was inadequate at 9:30 in Denver as we walked to the terminal from the plane. And in Spokane at 11:30, the air was crisp and cold and people coming in from southern states looked ridiculous as we stood shivering in our shorts and shirt sleeves.

Traffic was blessedly light as we traveled home across the Palouse in our own familiar vehicle. Before leaving “Park and Jet,” Mike ran it through the “free” car wash. I probably wouldn’t have bothered at that hour, but the car was dirty when we parked it there nearly two weeks ago. So we were in bed in our own little house by 3:30 a.m. or so – and I was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at 6:30. The temp was 32. Mike had high hopes that it would be summer when we returned from our trip. No, not quite yet.

Packing for this trip was difficult. We traveled by air and by car, stayed in varying types of overnight accommodations, endured changeable springtime weather, and participated in a variety of activities. We carried a full line of electronics necessitating a full line of cords and chargers. We also had “real” maps and travel guides. We bought new luggage to accommodate our clothes and devices, but in the end there simply wasn’t room for my crocheting. Sometimes I missed having something for my hands to do. Instead I read Willa Cather’s O Pioneers and My Antonia on my iPad.

Apparently we didn’t pack as efficiently for the return trip. We seemed to have too much stuff so I left my old Nikes behind for donation to the homeless shelter in Memphis. I’m thinking those shoes will be a dubious blessing. And I don’t think we lost anything except my pajama top, of all things. Oh well.

We really missed Nellie, especially when we traveled by car. Mike’s first instinct was to let her out when we came to wide open spaces we knew she would enjoy. But when we came to motels with signs that said, “NO PETS,” I was glad she was at home. Not only was she boarded at Sherry’s, a wonderful kennel, but Ken kept her busy with special hunts and outings. Then he sent us messages over Nellie’s “signature” telling of her adventures.
 
Tuesday morning we wasted no time bringing Nellie home. “She’s such a sweet dog,” Sherry said, “and also smart. Did you know she can open her kennel?”

“Hmmmm. Yes, we knew that. We just didn’t think to tell you.” No real harm done. The facility is secure. Nellie simply opened her kennel so that she could visit the small dogs in the next cage. Or – maybe she said to her companions, “Hey! I know a trick. Wanna see what I can do with my snout?”
 
Nellie greeted Mike enthusiastically and then gave me a hug. When the door opened, Nellie went from the office to the back of the Dakota in a flash. At home, she made a tour of the neighborhood.

In the afternoon, Ken brought little Pepper over for a visit. Her short little puppy legs are getting longer. KW

[Photos: 1) A flowery spring in Memphis. 2) Mike and his sister Carol with their mother, Bennie. 3) A happy reunion with Nellie. 4) Mike brushes Nellie at home. 5) Pepper.

3 comments:

Hallie said...

Nice photos! Love those shorthairs (esp. Nellie dog)!

Chris said...

Wow, what beautiful houses in this picture! Is this Carol's neighborhood? One thing about the south, they have beautiful architecture--we really noticed it when we visited John in Louisiana years ago.

I'll bet it feels sooo good to be home!

Kathy said...

Our family was so good to us, but truly - there's no place like home.

Yes, the picture was taken kitty-corner from Carol's house. They live in a development where the houses are all of a certain type of architecture but not alike.