Monday, April 8, 2013

"Were you looking for me?"

It was Wednesday afternoon last week (April 3), and we were traveling in Georgia. About 2:00 p.m., it commenced to rain -- really rain -- and we decided to drive rather than search for geocaches. But late in the afternoon the rain became a fine mist and Mike decided to find a geocache in an old cemetery near Locust Grove.

Following the coordinates we pulled into the secluded cemetery, bearing right. And right in front of us was a sheriff's vehicle. It appeared that the deputy, a large handsome man, was just getting into his car. It was too late to say, "Let's skip this one." He approached our Mazda. "Were you looking for me?" he asked.

"If I were looking for you, why would I look here?" I asked silently. I figured we caught him breaking, and I was glad we hadn't arrived sooner.

Mike immediately explained that he was geocaching. The deputy had never heard of it and seemed surprised that there was one in the cemetery. He followed Mike into the brush where the cache was located. The deputy was so impressed that he wrote the geocaching website on the palm of his hand. KW


[The top photo is the Mazda 3 we rented. The other two are Georgia rain pictures.]

1 comment:

Hallie said...

That WAS especially strange that the officer asked if you were looking for him. Was this a one cop town?

Photos now!