Sunday, April 12, 2015


It was 54 degrees at 6:30 a.m., fairly warm for the day’s low, but the wind was blowing and the weatherman said it wouldn’t get much warmer. I had a meeting midday, and I don’t know how it is with you, but when I have to focus on getting somewhere at a specified time for so many hours, it pretty much takes my day – at least for any big projects. But -- I got the dogs up and we went for a long walk. Being Saturday, I changed the bed and washed the sheets. And then I waited until time for the meeting.

The postman delivered another of my staycation gifts – Little By Little: Quilts in Miniature by Mary Hickey. Little projects are great for honing skills. Too bad I keep planning large ones.

The meeting happened from noon until 3:30. The dogs stayed in their kennel while I was out, and were they glad to see me pulled in! Bess bounced in circles while Nellie pranced in place, the universal sign for the walk. So, without further ado, we headed up the road.

We were returning to the house when Ken pulled up beside me, offering to take Bess for another hike. Between the two of us, we managed to get her into his 4-Runner with Pepper, and he was off. Sad to say but Nellie just doesn’t need that hike with two energetic dogs. She and I enjoyed a little quiet time. I fried bacon and set a pot of old-fashioned potato soup to simmer. (Mike doesn’t like potato soup.)

You might think that when Bess got home from the hike she was really tired and ready to rest. You would be wrong. She has lots of stamina. Both dogs relished a supper of kibble drizzled with bacon grease. And because I had cooked my supper, they helped with the dishes. Then I brushed their teeth. Oh – today went ever so much better than yesterday!

After supper we settled down to a quiet evening. Bess allowed herself to sit on my lap for a while.

It was late when Mike called from Chuck and Joanne's in Ivins. It was a long day of riding between Gooding and Ivins and he was tired, but he proudly boasted of having found a cache in each of three states, a current geocaching challenge.

So, here we are at the end of Day 2 and I still haven’t accomplished much from my list. I ordered a few more staycation gifts. And I’ve worked on the teddy bear afghan. KW


Chris said...

I really like your idea of staycation gifts. I may have to do the same when Dan has a week-long tour later this spring! I'd better start making a list of things now. :-)

I also have trouble getting anything much done when I have someplace to go later in a day. I need wide open time to start (or even continue) on a project. I am somewhat heartened to find I'm not the only one.

Kathy said...

I can (and do) order things I want anytime, but I do enjoy looking forward to the deliveries and rewarding myself for taking care of things here.

I don't think we're alone in needing those blocks of time in order to start and continue projects. After all, Nancy Zieman wrote a whole book -- "10, 20, 30 Minutes to Sew" -- or something like that. Mother used to say, "Just a seam a day and you will eventually finish."

Chris said...

Sadly, I don't work too well with the 10, 20, 30 minutes to sew. It takes me that long to ponder my next move, so back to needing a whole, open time frame. I am what I am...

Kathy said...

Oh! I agree, Chris. I need the open block of time, too. I've never read the book but I suspect the suggestion is for a more organized approach than I use, such as pinning a seam for your next sewing session, etc. I think I could do it with doll clothes and piecing but not quilting. As you point out, the way we work is part of who we are.