Saturday, November 14, 2015


Dawn at Gilbert, Idaho

It’s been several weeks since Mike and I were here at the farm. We had hoped to be finished with splitting and stacking the firewood by now, but weather caused delays. The temp today is quite mild (around 50). Earlier in the week, colder temps and snow were predicted for tomorrow (Sunday), but now the weatherman says it will be too warm for snow. The “Champion” tomato bush still looks strong and healthy, though tomatoes are not ripening. I picked three small yellow crook-neck squash before pulling out the bush.
Son Clint is here today to help his dad. This morning they made a brief hike south of the house, but seeing no deer, they returned for breakfast. Then they drove to Orofino, rented a wood splitter, and set to work in the wood piles.

Note limb leaning on woodshed
Mike counted 92 rings on the tree that fell from the grove into the north field, meaning that it began to grow around 1923. The house was built in 1917, and I don’t know whether the grove existed at that time or if trees were planted.

And speaking of trees, the limb that dangled from the pine beside the woodshed finally slipped to the ground without incident.You can see it leaning against the woodshed in the photo right.

Pencil Tree
Wood splitting in north field
Today I’m putting away Halloween decorations and setting up for Christmas. I know – it’s not even Thanksgiving yet, but anything I can do now to get ready is all to the good. I ordered a new Christmas tree – an 8-foot, unlit pencil tree – and had it delivered to the farmhouse, so today I took it out of the box and set it up. I decided I wanted to try a taller but less bushy tree, and I’m considering one for the townhouse as well. So, I’ve worked along at pulling the twigs into place, and it’s shaping up nicely – for an artificial tree. KW


Chris said...

I like the slim tree. Looking forward to seeing it decorated. We moved our tree last year (it was getting to be too much work to move furniture around to use the old spot) and the new spot needs a slimmer one.

Glad Clint could come help Mike. I'm sure they enjoyed working together.

Lastly, I'm so impressed that you were up to capture the dawn. I know you get up early, but still, I'm impressed! I'm certain I was sound asleep when you took the picture. :-)

Hallie said...

You don't have to get up too early to see dawn these days!

Hallie said...

I've never seen a splitter contraption like that before. Very interesting. Sorry I missed it.

Kathy said...

The three of us were up at 5:30 that day. I think I took the pictures between 6:00 and 6:30.

Mike said the splitter was worth every penny of the rental cost -- $65. They split those big chunks into at least eight pieces. It took a lot of time, even though they worked quickly. Mike had anticipated the fir would split more easily, but it didn't because of all the knots. But -- we have more pine than fir.

I's sorry you missed it, too, Hallie.