Saturday, January 16, 2016

BEAUTIFUL VINTAGE SNOWY TREES


Christmas, 1920. Sand box & bushes on south side of new hen house (left).

During the winter, Mike and I try to take care of pending matters. One of those was our need for a new printer/scanner/copier. Our old Dell printer, purchased 10 years ago, was broken and wouldn’t print. I could still scan with it but it was useless as a copier. So, yesterday we bought an HP 5470 wireless printer. Naturally, it’s also a scanner/copier, which I need for “my work.”
Old "sarvice" bush & water cart
Road in Fir Gulch, December 1922

At first I was pretty frustrated trying to set it up the printer, but something happened (I don’t know what) and suddenly we were connected and in business. Today, from the comfort of the love seat in the living room, I pressed print, and in Mike’s office the printer obeyed my command. Then I scanned the photos you see on this post to a thumb drive and transferred immediately to my laptop. The possibilities seem endless.
They made cards out of this picture.

Well, to continue my blog prompt – I seek to discover my dad’s family however I can because I want to know about their experience on the family farm. What did it mean to them to have their own place? Were they happy there? Did they rush to the window when the stubble field reflected the red of the setting sun? Did they think the trees were beautiful when their branches were heavy with snow? These are things I wish I had asked my dad – or his siblings – but they were gone before I had a chance to formulate my questions.

See the cows? See the man? (December 1922)
We’re lucky to have correspondence and pictures. Often the pictures reveal the answers. Hallie remarked on a previous post that the trees are beautiful when it snows. Did Grandma Ina think they were beautiful, I wondered. So I went to my photo box and pulled out as many snowy tree pictures as I could find.

1936
Sometimes a picture yields a big surprise when I see the enlarged scan, the photo above being an example. I hadn't noticed the cow -- or the man standing there until I saw the scan on my computer screen. Though I can't say for sure, I suppose the man is my grandfather, Jack Dobson.

These last pictures show the old house which sat in the lower yard until 1971 when my dad razed it. It was picturesque, though, and sometimes I miss it. You can see that back in the day we had many more trees. KW

3 comments:

Chris said...

From the pictures you share, I feel pretty confident that your grandmother did indeed love the snow on the trees. As you've said, film and the development of the photos was not inexpensive so I believe she would only take pictures of things that were important to her. These photos are quite lovely.

Chris said...

Oh, and congrats on the new piece of hardware--and your success in getting it online!

Kathy said...

Thanks, Chris. I've often wondered if there were more pictures. I only have my dad's copies and a few that were left in the house. It stands to reason that there could have been more. I suppose, though, that Ina might not have taken the same pictures over and over like I do. Someday someone will edit my files . . .