|108 identical blocks with edging|
On Monday (May 2), I finished Hallie’s wedding afghan. Yay!!
I started this afghan – actually a small coverlet – probably in 2009 when Hallie and Nick got married. I couldn’t find the yarn (Red Heart Soft) in the local market, so when we visited Denver, family there helped me find it. (That was before I learned to shop online.)
When I started it, I thought I'd have this coverlet finished in no time. I like “granny square” projects because they’re so easy to carry, and I did take it with me on various trips and crochet the squares as Mike drove. However, a “buffalo” developed in the form of my varying gauge. So, when I resolved to finish this coverlet, I first measured the squares and re-did the “looser” ones. Actually I cheated. I just re-did the outer rows.
I actually like to crochet loosely. I like the softer feel of the yarn. However, I came to see that an afghan will stretch under its own weight unless the gauge is tighter.
Well, once I had finished the coverlet, I washed and dried it. Even though I don't expect my work to fall apart, I'm always gratified when I take it out of the dryer in one piece.
Anyway, it's on to other things. I try not to crochet more than one project at a time, again because of gauge issues. KW