Friday, July 8, 2016

OUT FROM UNDER THE BED AND OFF TO THE BALL



Emerson

The Sixth of July was Granddaughter Emmy’s eighth birthday. In the afternoon, I received a text message from her mother with the two photos shown here. An already happy day was now over the top. Emmy’s American Girl doll, abandoned under her bed in favor of “Rosabell the Build-a-Bear,” had gone to the American Girl salon to have her hair done. I had hoped this might happen. In fact, when I visited Emmy and family last summer, Emmy pointed to a pattern for a ball gown and whispered, “This is a very pretty dress,” and I resolved that if the doll ever came out from under the bed, I would make fancy dresses.
Emmy (right) & friend have dolls alike

So, as we packed our provisions for the trip back to the farm, I quickly grabbed the fabric storage bin marked “dressy.” Yesterday I added a category to my Pinterest boards – “Cinderella's Ball Gowns” – and began saving ideas. Today I’m at work making one idea into a reality. KW



2 comments:

Chris said...

Looking forward to hearing how the ball gown is coming! What a fun dress to make. Brings back memories of you and I making some many years ago. So glad the doll came out from under the bed. :-)

Kathy said...

The ball gown is coming along. The bodice is ready for the skirt, and the skirt is hemmed and gathered. It's crystalline with sparkles over satin in a blue/green.

I know I don't need to tell you this, Chris, but in general, it's not easy to make doll clothes. Turning the lined bodice was difficult and time-consuming. Attaching the skirt to the bodice won't be fun either. But I still love to do it. Go figure!