Friday, July 15, 2016

PROJECT FINISHES




I love this room. This was Aunt Shirley’s room back in Grandma Ina’s day. And then it was my room when I was a girl. My dad allowed me to paint the walls and the furniture, and he bought a new piece of linoleum for the floor. Of course, since then the room has been updated.

 
The view from Hallie's room
This room has a great view of the pond, the south fields, and Little Canyon. It also has a sunnier aspect than the room next door, which I call the vintage sewing room.

Now we call this sunny room “Hallie’s room,” but it also doubles as a guest room. I was promoted to the master bedroom on the north side of the house, which is larger but not nearly as appealing.

The Challis Coverlet
I write here to let you know I finished this “granny” coverlet. I started it in 1985 when we spent the summer in Challis, Idaho. I begged scraps of yarn from my Mother so that I could make the granny squares in a variety of color combinations. For whatever reason, I put the project away with the intent to finish it “someday.” I am relieved that it’s finished and that I can move on to make another blanket with new yarn. I have collected lots of beautiful patterns to try. Then perhaps I’ll have enough yarn left over to make another random granny afghan – and so it goes, ad infinitum.

And I’m happy to report that I cut out this ball gown for Emmy's doll last Friday and have nearly finished it. The doll in residence here, “Shirley Anne, American Farm Girl” (a.k.a. Kit Kittridge), is the old model American Girl and too fat for the dress. Shirley Anne was distressed about that, though the smile never left her face. I assured her that she’s beautiful just the way she is, and the dress wasn’t for her anyway. One of my more recent American Girls will pose for a fitting and a photo before I mail the dress to Emmy. KW

2 comments:

Chris said...

Hooray! Hooray for finishes! Love the granny coverlet know it will keep you--or others--cozy on cool nights, whether in front of the fire or on the bed. And the gall gown is beautiful! Such a lovely color and so quickly made! When the sewing muse is on fire, there's no stopping her!

I believe I remember that room. And sad attempts to sing Goldfinger as we gilded the bed (which I believe you said was later stolen). That was a fun day!

Kathy said...

Thanks, Chris. Yes, that's the room in which we applied "gold leaf" accents to the bedstead with our fingers. It WAS a fun day! The bed is gone -- also a cute little bench. The mirror on the wall is what remains of the "commode" that was in the room, and we have a table that I also painted.