Saturday, December 16, 2017

INA AND THE GINGERBREAD PAGEANT -- DAY 16



“Goodness!” exclaimed Ina to herself. “Time is marching on.” This was the last weekend before Christmas doin’s would begin in earnest, and there was still so much to do. Well, she would stand it all just fine.

It was snowing, so after her chores were finished, Shirley Anne put on her snowsuit and went outside to play. Before long there was a jolly snowman in the yard, and more than one “snow angel.” When she came in, Ina helped her remove her snowsuit and wet clothing, wrapped her in a quilt, and set her before the wood stove with a cup of hot chocolate.

Once she was warmed up, Shirley Anne suddenly remembered about the magic closet and ran upstairs to check it. Yes! She found something – an old copy of The Gingerbread Boy. She took it downstairs to where Aunt Ina sat near the window hemming a skirt. “Aunt Ina, look what I found in the closet!” said Shirley Anne. “Will you read it to me?”

“I’m busy right now,” said Ina, “but why don’t you sit here and read it to me?” Shirley Anne was only in first grade, but in the one-room school, children often learned beyond their grade because they heard the lessons of the older students. Shirley Anne read well for her age.

So, Shirley Anne commenced to read the story of the little Gingerbread Boy, especially meaningful now because of preparations for the Gingerbread Pageant at school. Ina helped now and then with big words. They both enjoyed the story and the together time.

As she finished, Shirley Anne observed that she might be the gingerbread girl; Aunt Ina, the little old woman; and Uncle Jack, the little old man. KW



[On our recent trip to the farmhouse, I retrieved my copy of The Gingerbread Boy, retold by Watty Piper and illustrated by Eulalie (Banks), published by the Platt & Munk Co., 1927. Watty Piper was the pseudonym of the publisher, Arnold Munk. This book was a Christmas gift to me by Aunt Lynn (my dad’s sister Myrtle) in 1951 when I was two years old. I was a young adult before I learned that the original folk tale didn’t end so pleasantly for the Gingerbread Boy.]




 

5 comments:

Chris said...

That book cover looks familiar! I think I had it, too. Although for some reason I remember my cover as being kind of a burnt orange. Probably a faulty memory! This is such a good story! I'm loving reading it.

Kathy said...

I think your memory is just fine, Chris. In researching this book yesterday, I saw one that had an orange cover. As you can see, the black on dark blue is rather lost. It's possible there was a dust cover, too, but I have no memory of one.

So glad to hear you like my little story. I feel affirmed! In the weeks after Christmas I plan to do a little study on gingerbread -- history, recipes, etc.

Chris said...

Oh good, maybe my memory is still intact!! LOL Looking forward to a little gingerbread history! (Made my Puddin' Head Gingerbread cookies this week so we're enjoying a cookie now and then.)

Hallie said...

*pause* Was the gingerbread boy eaten alive??

Kathy said...

Yes, in the original story he was. It's an object lesson, I believe -- you know, never trust a fox, or something.