Saturday, August 29, 2026

SUMMERWEEN AT THE FARM

 

I like to make the most of “Summerween,” the late summer / autumn season that culminates in Halloween when days grow shorter, mornings grow cooler, and evening shadows grow longer. The world takes on a certain enchanted glow. 

Son Yancey and his daughter Emmy visited at the farm for a few days late in August, so I brought out the Halloween runners and hung a fall wreath on the front door. The world didn’t disappoint. On the evening of the 27th, we watched the “almost” total eclipse of the moon as it rose above the barn from the earliest stages about 7:30 until 9:20 when we saw that the eclipse was waning. It was a privilege to share it with family.

With the exception of the first photo above, these were taken by Yancey with his iPhone 17 Pro. The first was taken with my old SE. There's a 17 in my future. 







2 comments:

Hallie said...

Cool photos and a beautiful memory. Even if I could have seen it, it wouldn't have been as special as seeing it at the farm.

Kathy said...

It was a special moment in time for us. We were blessed that the timing was right. The eclipse began to be visible before 7:30 and peaked at 9:12. It's a slow process, and when an eclipse happens during the sleeping hours, I don't get up to watch. Plus -- the sky was clear enough for us to see the moon.