Tuesday, September 18, 2007

NELLIE & THE UPS MAN

I heard the UPS man drive up and park at the neighbor's this morning. Knowing the visit was not for us, I paid no attention. But in the livingroom, Nellie was indicating an immediate desire to go out by means of international dog sign language. She exited by the sliding door and ran -- post haste -- to the neighbor's yard. "No No, Nellie," I yell; "this is none of our business." I stepped out the front door in time to see the UPS man throw Nellie a treat. We figured this behavior has been reinforced more than once since Nellie now associates it with the sound of the UPS truck. Makes you wonder, doesn't it? UPS guys throw treats to dogs to keep them at bay, thereby training them to the sound of the truck so that they come running for the treat! KW

1 comment:

debdog42 said...

My sister read meters for Qwest for years and they also carried dog treats.