Sunday, September 23, 2007

THE QUILT CLASS

If I had it all to do over again, I wouldn’t take a quilt class. Of course, I learned this by taking the quilt class. The cost of the class was nominal, so this was not an expensive lesson. I was really disappointed in the end product, i.e. my quilt blocks.

So, Friday night after the quilt class found me here at this computer reading about quilting at about.com, attempting to figure out what happened and how to fix it. And I had to think to myself, “This is where I should have started. I should have chosen a simple project (like a potholder or a placemat or a doll quilt), asked the advice of a friend for start-up equipment, and experimented on my own . . . because that’s what I’m going to do now.” Saturday I borrowed a quilting book from a friend and bought another – both have great simple projects.

Will I try to salvage my blocks and make the quilt top? I’m going to put it aside right now and think about it. It’s not that I’m a perfectionist, but I do hold a certain standard for my handwork and when a project falls outside that range, I lose interest. On the other hand, things sometimes look better tomorrow – or next month or six months from now. I’ve been thinking – I could do a potholder or a placemat and perhaps be better able to deal with the quilt blocks and their problems when I have more experience. KW

No comments: