Thursday, September 27, 2007

SKUNK STREAK BROKEN

Wednesday I decided I would try to break the bird hunting skunk streak. Of course, I didn’t want to make it too easy so I took my 20 gauge o/u and the only loads I had for it up here were some 7/8 ounce number 8 dove loads. So much for making any long shots. We were making our way around the south edge of the field just south of the house when Nellie went on point out in the star thistle. I’ve seen quail there so that’s what I was expecting. I walked in and lo and behold up jumped a big rooster pheasant. Of course the season isn’t open yet so I just did a practice swing and watched him fly down the canyon. After another hour or so of walking I was over on the Schlader property to the east of us when a big covey of huns surprised both Nellie and me and I just had time to get off a quick long shot. Naturally nothing fell. (Actually I may have mortally wounded one because when I was visiting my neighbor, Pete, later in the day he said his old Lab, Blackie, had come in with a dead hun.) A little while later Nellie went on a hard point at the edge of a scab patch in the field and I kicked up a single hun which offered me a close shot and I got this one and Nellie brought it back. A similar scenario occurred later in the afternoon when we went out again over near the inside corner of our property. Only this time Nellie wasn't surprised and made a nice staunch point. However, they did get up far out and again, nothing fell when I shot. Shortly Nellie made another hard point and a single got up close enough for me to bring down. Kathy is serving them tonight and they sure smell good.

No comments: