Tuesday, September 11, 2007

"WE'RE STARTING BACK NOW. . . "




Hallie’s faraway-cell-phone voice conveyed at 4:00 Sunday afternoon. “We did three days of backpacking in two and we’ll be back in three hours. I want to sleep in a real bed. I want to go to the farm.” My Sunday reverie broken, I (the resting anchor person) found myself suddenly thrown into a flurry of activity. The plan was that the backpackers – Hallie, her friend Nick, Mike and our dog Nellie – would not return until late Monday. And despite the intuition that said, "They could be back early; why don’t you make lasagna, bake a cake, pack for the farm, etc.," I had put all that off. Not only that, a trip to the farm was unexpected.

Anyway, by the time they arrived, the lasagna was baking and I was organizing for the farm. Hallie and Nick seemed to enjoy their day here, highlights including riding the 4-wheelers across the harvested fields, target shooting (Nick is good!), a quick twilight game of horseshoes, and an evening foursome at Scrabble. It was good to show Hallie some of our most recent projects and updates.

Hallie and Nick left this morning, having lunch plans at Connell, WA, with Nick’s dad. It’s good that they will be back in Seattle in time to get a good night’s rest.

No comments: