Monday, May 19, 2008

WHAT'S IN A NAME?


I knew that Mike enjoyed the frogs that our friend and contractor, Mike Lorenz, planted in our expanded pond some years back. However, I was surprised when the old homestead was dubbed the “Frog Farm” on the blog.

In the old days, some family members called the homestead “Rimrock Farm” -- an apt name, I think, when you consider its location on the breaks of Little Canyon. I don’t think my dad particularly liked that name, though. In fact, at one time in the ‘50s he thought “Hoot Owl Farm” was a good name owing to the fact that owls were in residence here at the time. He even had routed wooden signs made -- “Hoot Owl Farm” and “The Dobsons” -- but for some reason he never hung them. Maybe the owls left. Maybe his siblings expressed disapproval. But the signs kicked around here at the farmhouse until eventually I tossed out “Hoot Owl Farm” but kept “The Dobsons” for a shelf ornament in the utility room.

Anyway, something about “Frog Farm” seems to stick with the place but we never refer to it as such – thank heaven! While I’m not exactly pleased with the name, the whimsical theme of frogs having fun is popular now and makes the concept tolerable. I chose several “frog” fabrics for the quilt I might finish someday. And I enjoy the “frog theme” garden ornaments that I see in all the marts. I bought a few; perhaps I’ll find a few more at clearance time.
[The frog with a little frog on his/her back in the top picture belonged to my dad and was part of a little area he arranged at his studio door. The frogs on the shovel I bought last week. That's about what it takes to make a dent in the soil here -- lots of frogs on a shovel!]

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

AT THE FROG FARM, THE OLD CROAKERS HAVE HOOT!!!!
L.J.

Hallie said...

I remember the frog always out in our front yard under the pine tree. I don't remember him anywhere else.

On my way back to Seattle today. I'm sad to leave and sad to go back to work. :(

Kathy said...

The frog mating season will soon be upon us and then there's more croaking than I care to hear.

That's right -- I had forgotten about the frog being under our pine trees. By the way, Hallie called us this morning from the Philadelphia airport -- waiting on her flight to Seattle. She had a good time with Murray, Barbara, and Douglas. KW

Hallie said...

I gained many new experiences from my trip to Philly...Doug gained many new nicknames. One of my favorites, and hopefully the one that sticks, "Doog-uhls!" :)

Kathy said...

Welcome home, Hallie! I think Murray has always played with Doug's name. He's probably used to it.

I hope work is going well for you. XO

Anonymous said...

Polywog place?