Tuesday, August 5, 2008

HORSES

“How did I miss this pile?” I asked myself. “How could I have missed it? I got the one over there. Did I walk right by it? Am I crazy? That’s a scary thought! Or – have the horses been here again?” I really couldn’t be sure but the stuff seemed – well, kinda fresh. I grabbed the shovel and a pail and with my trusty companion, Nellie, I set out for the pond again. I felt as though I should wear a clown suit and a big bulbous red nose. “This is pretty silly,” I say to myself. “Just think how rich in nutrients next year’s compost will be,” came the counter voice. “Just think how much better this year’s garden is than last year’s was. Yessirree! It’s a fine thing you’re doing.”

So, I cleaned the yard and then I went back in the house. Erelong Nellie spoke. “Bark – bark bark,” she said tentatively. So, I stepped out to see – and there they were – five of them standing under the trees in the grove. “Get out of here!” I yelled, sounding rather more authoritative than Nellie, I thought. And to my surprise, all five horses turned and ran toward the canyon. At that moment I realized I could have had a beautiful photo of them standing there if only I hadn’t been in haste to shoo them away.

So, I grabbed the camera, called Nellie, and we went off into the field in search of the horses. (Watch your step!) Now, if I’d really thought I could catch them, I probably wouldn’t have gone, but I did think I could probably see them in the distance and get some photos. However, the phantom horses were nowhere to be seen.









I did see them again, though. As I sat at my sewing machine this afternoon, movement caught my eye, and there they were – six of them running past the pond and into the field, again heading westerly toward the canyon. I don’t know why they were running. It seemed too hot to run to me!
But even as I'm writing this post, I look out the diningroom window to the north and see Nellie watching something. There they are again! The horses are now moving eastward through the north field. They cross the lane and one of them heads off through the grain to the top of the hill. The others seem reluctant to follow. Eventually they all head off to the pond where they stop at the southern edge and then pause to enjoy the shade.
They are gone again now but will likely return in the middle of the night to have a sip from the pond.

1 comment:

Hallie said...

You should sell the horses. Finders keepers, and all that, you know. They're on your property. That makes them yours.