Tuesday, August 12, 2008

MORNING EXERCISE

I love to exercise early in the day for several reasons. I don’t like to exercise at all, so if I do it early I feel I’ve really accomplished something and can get on to other things I like to do. Otherwise, I feel a certain dread – like I have something I need to do that I’m putting off. And – it’s so much nicer to exercise in the cool of the day. I have more energy then.

Mike went to Pete’s this morning to help him with his old bicycle, so I stopped there on my bike ride in order to get my tires checked. Then I set off for a ride down Miller Road. Nellie stood at the side of the road looking as though she wanted to come with me.

“Stay Nellie! You can’t come with me. You stay here! Stay!!”

But ere I had ridden a quarter of a mile, I heard the clip of dog feet hot on my tail. Sure enough! Nellie zipped right on by me and then stopped up ahead as if to say, “See? Yes, I can come with you! I can! I can keep up with you! I will!” It was obvious she really wanted a good run in the cool of the morning, so I said okay.

We zipped on down Miller Road with Nellie staying ahead. She knows where all the country ponds are – yes, she’s run Miller Road with us before. At one point she quickly ran through a pond and appeared through the brush drenched and refreshed. She didn’t dally about it. Staying ahead of me was her mission!

Miller Road is probably 3.5 to 4 miles long. From the farmhouse to the end of Miller Road is five miles and a good exercise ride for me, but today we turned back when we were in sight of the Miller house – about halfway. Nellie continued to stay with me or keep ahead all the way back to Pete’s. She stayed with Mike while I rode a ways further. Then I picked her up and she ran hard beside me back to the farmhouse.
[Nellie is taking a nap this afternoon since she had a good run this morning.]

6 comments:

debdog42 said...

Nelie it the neatest dog and seems like such good company!

Hallie said...

What a sweet dog! At first I thought this might be a blog authored by Nellie about how she likes to run early in the morning. Then when you got to the part about riding a bicycle, I thought, "Gee, when did Nellie learn to ride a bicycle?"

debdog42 said...

Hallie you are so funny. I get a kick out of reading your posts!

Kathy said...

I think dogs of the German Shorthair breed are generally friendly but aloof. From the time we got her, Nellie has been a family participant. We never had one bond with us like she has. She also has special feelings for Hallie. Nellie doesn't know that Hallie is coming next weekend, but when she sees her it will be the happiest of dog days!

Hallie said...

Well, I thought I was something special to Nellie until she got up on my lap and crawled ACROSS me so that she could set up camp on Nick's lap.

Before she fell in love with Nick, Nellie and I were napping buddies. I love sleeping in the afternoon while I'm on vacation!!

debdog42 said...

Hallie,
Nick probably has that "new person" smell that dogs seem to love! HAHAHA!!!