Friday, August 29, 2008

UNBIRTHDAYS


What a day! I got up feeling rather blue anyway and the day just didn't seem to unfold in a productive way. A project just wasn't working out the way I thought it should. I was confused about a percentage discount. The chocolate birthday cake I made from scratch didn't turn out. Messages to my friend kept coming back to my inbox marked "permanently fatal errors." (That sounds terrible, doesn't it?) I was beginning to think I might just be losing it. And if I wasn't losing it, would I ever be really good at anything?

After lunch, I decided I should get out of the house – take my bike ride. Despite Mike's calls, Nellie came with me. She ran ahead of me, eagerly watching for me at bends in the road and corners. I don't like to take her because I can't control her, but it was obvious she really wanted a good run. So, past Curfman's and down Miller Road we went -- all the way to the end without incident. On the way back, it was clear Nellie was getting hot but still keeping up well. I was just approaching the Miller's – had geared to get the most momentum from the downhill before the uphill – when my bike locked up somehow. Looking down I noticed my right shoelace was caught in the chain. I was grateful to see it was not entangled; it had just happened. As my bike came to a standstill, I realized I would need to act quickly. I quelled the rising panic – the fear of falling -- and realized that it was important to move my left foot from the clip, which was not my inclination. I managed to get my left foot onto the ground and save myself from a spill. I fixed my shoe lace, got back on the bike, and whizzed down the hill, only to throw my chain when I shifted on the uphill. Mike has always been with me when I've thrown the chain before. It took me a few minutes to figure out what I had to do, but I was eventually successful and able to ride on home. Nellie waited for me while I made the repairs.

When we got back, Nellie spent a good bit of time at the pond. Mike and I agreed she should not be scolded for coming with me. The run was punishment enough.
Here's a picture of Nellie taken yesterday at Cottonwood Butte -- especially for Deb. I had deleted it – I don't think it's very flattering – but it was still in the recycle bin. Something in the rocks caught her attention.

3 comments:

Hallie said...

Either it's hereditary, or we all have those days. Shall I remind you of the day that I spilled coffee grounds all over your counter, sneezed and splashed coffee all over my white shirt, forgot to pick up the inner tubes for the float trip, got stung by a wasp, and hit in the face with a .22 bullet shell?

Bright side: I think I won at least a couple rounds of croquet that day.

Anonymous said...

Hallie's so right--days like this happen to us all. And they are no fun. Your biking experience is why I don't ride anymore--I'm too much of a klutz to save myself!! I'm proud of you for getting through it all and triumphing!!! As they say, "You go, girl!" :-)

I got your email. Which reminded me that I sent your birthday card to the Clarkston house as I thought you'd be in town. And a card (on time no less!) is not the surprise. Ha ha.

debdog42 said...

Thanks for the pic of Nellie! I love that "little" doggie!!