Sunday, December 28, 2008

AND THE SNOW MELTS


Yesterday (Sat., 12-27) was a dark and dreary day -- a good day to stay home by the fire. It wasn't so very cold, though, and early morning snow became rain. But -- when we got up this morning, it was 46 degrees and our six inches of snow was already mostly gone. Now the ground is soggy with moisture.

Mike and I finished the last of the Christmas turkey breast for lunch and then went out to renew grocery supplies. First I went to Jo-Ann where I checked out fabrics for the "retro" coat I want to make while Mike went to Costco for business supplies. I'm still in the "thinking about it" phase, so I didn't buy. I also stopped in at the Dollar Tree where all the holiday stuff is half off. "Hurry -- while supplies last," said the sign. But it looked to me like there's still plenty left for all of us.

No special deals at the grocery store. I noted leftover evergreen wreaths and garlands at the front door when in past years those sell out -- it seems to me. And who would want them now, I asked myself. I passed on the bananas and the pork chops but bought chicken for dinner (we eat a lot of poultry, remember) and snack supplies for New Year's.

Mike has our charcoal grill ready and will barbecue our chicken. Ah! such is winter in our valley! KW

No comments: