Wednesday, December 24, 2008

ADVENT DAY 23: WAITING FOR HALLIE & NICK

Here I sit with my cup of "Sleepy Time" tea. There's a freshly-baked mystery pecan pie on the counter and the aroma of a turkey breast roasting in the oven. The house is straighter and cleaner than it's been in a while. A new teddy bear awaits his stuffing and his face. Packages are wrapped and sitting next to the curio cabinet, the closest thing we have to a tree. A few candles flicker here and there. A cheerful fire burns in the little stove. I'll bet you're thinking I'm going to mention carols. No, it's a football game. Hallie called a while ago; she and Nick will arrive about 9:00. Despite the snowy weather, despite the fact we won't be going to the farmhouse, she and Nick decided to come to this little house to share food, gifts, and a few games of Mexican Train or Scrabble.

And here they are! They say they had no travel difficulties. Nellie is excited and springs to her duties as official greeter. Now there are more gifts "under" the curio cabinet, and Hallie presents me with a gift card that promises a trip to the Bernina shop. Then before bed, she took my laptop and conversed with HP International with the result that she resolved a quirky problem. Before I fell asleep, I listened to a holiday drama from 1950 on the radio. KW

No comments: