Saturday, May 23, 2009

MIKE & KATHY – 34 YEARS AND COUNTING

Mike and I congratulated each other on 34 years together and agreed to continue along together on this great adventure.

My wedding photos were in color, except for this one black and white which was taken for the newspaper. Of the photos of the two of us, it's my favorite and the one I display. A couple of years ago, grandson Jack visited us with his dad when he spied this photo on my dresser. "Who are these people?" he asked his dad. Yancey didn't immediately enlighten him. "Who do you think they might be? Whose house is this?" Jack was incredulous to think that young couple could be Gramma Kathy and Grandpa Mike.

As I was getting lunch today, I happened to think of our 15th anniversary in 1990. A bouquet of flowers from Mike was delivered to me at the museum where I worked. Lora, my co-worker, commented on them, and I replied that Mike didn't send flowers often but this anniversary – our 15th – seemed kinda special. Lora came back with, "Kathy! Do you know how long I've been married? 34 years! Now that's special."

Funny I thought of that forgotten incident today because I read in today's paper that Lora's husband, Don, passed away yesterday. KW

2 comments:

chris miller said...

Happy day!!!

Richard V. Shields III said...

Congratulations! At some point in time, they ALL become special!