Thursday, July 9, 2009

OLD PHOTOS FROM AN OLD CAMERA

Mike and Jack left in the 8:00 a.m. timeframe for camping on the St. Joe near a place called Avery, Idaho. The plan was to tent-camp at a campground. I made ham sandwiches for their lunch. Mike will grill pheasant for dinner tonight and tomorrow night they'll have pork chops. I prepared vegetables in foil packets as a side dish. I don't know how exactly, but Nellie knew she wasn't going. We've been out on several walks and she had turkey juice on her supper -- a real treat.

As discussed on the previous blog, Mike is using the Nikon while on these outings with Jack, so I reverted to the "toy" camera. Speaking of cheap cameras, you might find these photos interesting.

My half-sister, Nina, had an old Kodak box camera I never saw her use. But the summer I turned 11 (1960), my mother bought some film for it and let me take some pictures. These three weren't so good, so I didn't put them in my album. Today I find them quite as precious as if they had been clear.

The first is of my mother and my dad's sister, my Aunt Ethel, who lived on the other end of our block. What is Aunt Ethel holding? I think it's electric hedge clippers. I suspect she came over to borrow them in order to clip her hedge. Note the old trellis over the garage door, leftover from a bygone era. In the next year or two my parents would tear down that old garage, replace it with a carport, and redesign the back yard.

The second photo is another view of the back yard. The fence was at the back of our property. The house you see was across the alley where the Frosts lived -- Frank, Alice, and their daughter, Joan. Oh, and though poorly showcased, the photo does have a subject. Can you see it?




And the third photo is of three-year-old Becky Reece, my niece. We had an extended family reunion at Yellow Pine in remote central Idaho that summer, and this photo was taken at that time. XO

2 comments:

Hallie said...

It's the garden gnome! That's awesome. :)

Kathy said...

Yes, that was his original location. There had been a small goldfish pond there and also some rocks to give the flower garden character. When I was born, Mother had the pond filled in. She said she didn't want to worry about any baby girls drowning in the pond. XO