Saturday, July 4, 2009

FOURTH OF JULY, 2009


Last Thursday, July 2, Mike decided to make a morning bike ride, and since we expected the day to be warm, Nellie and I decided to exercise in the morning as well. As I left the house, I happened to remember the camera and went back for it.

As we approached Pete's farm, we discovered he was haying, using his renovated Case tractor. Oh -- you would ask me the year of that model! 1945 or '46, I think. That's the era he loves. He has several old tractors, and he's sentimental about them: one was his dad's, one was his father-in-law's, and I forget the sentimental connection on the other. He does the mechanic work and his son paints them for him. Each one is to be inherited by a grandchild.

As I took pictures of the old-time haying process, Pete stopped to visit for a while. He told me he planned to ride that tractor in the Fourth of July parade in Orofino and provided some details. The parade would be at 5:30 as folks gathered for the evening celebration before the fireworks. That usually translates to a lot of waiting around for 10:00 p.m. and a sky dark enough to showcase the fireworks.

Well, since we came back to Clarkston, we won't be celebrating with the Orofinoans. We plan to have traditional "Warnock burgers" and strawberry shortcake for dessert. I don't know if we'll seek out a celebration or simply enjoy some patriotic television.

Anyway, Nellie and I continued on with our morning explorative walk. On the way back, we met Pete walking back home for gas. "I told Rubee I had enough gas," he commented, "but then, this is the first time I've ever screwed up."

No comments: