Saturday, August 1, 2009

HOT TIME AT THE FARM


Just wanted you to know we've come to the farm.

We had just decided yesterday to spend the weekend in town -- even accepted an invitation to a barbecue. Then Mike turned on the radio and heard the weather report -- 100+ for the next two days with continued hot, dry weather next week. "Let's just go to the farm," he said. So -- we drove up this morning. It was already 81 as we left the Clarkston house, where draught-tolerant coneflowers flourish by the front door.

I even transplanted some coneflowers to the farm last year and planted them by the front steps where they seem to be happy. But -- the corn that I planted in the raised bed and that we worked to protect before we left on vacation died from the heat and lack of moisture. You just can't be a good gardener if you aren't paying attention. I have to decide what to do about the raised bed. It's too late for corn, too late for squash. Green beans? Maybe. As incongruous as it seems today, frost can occur in early September here. And once the days grow shorter, the plants get the message.

The raspberries aren't bearing now but the bushes seem okay. "Well, I water mine!" said Ken when I asked him for advice. "And now and then I throw a little fertilizer their way." Yes, well, the fact is that even though they thrive with water, they will tolerate some draught. This year I have enough new canes to expand my patch. We want to connect the two patches so that there's no sod on the hill.

I brought the Nick and Hallie commemorative Gerber daisies with us this trip, knowing that I didn't dare leave them in the heat. They will tolerate some heat but not hot sun. They are better off with us here where it's cooler and I can tend to them. Ken took care of them while we were away. "Throw some fertilizer on them and it might force them to bloom for the wedding," Ken advised. (Again with the fertilizer!)

Mike is out mowing but the grass is dry now. He just wanted to knock down the heads and make it look even. I'll bet he plans serious hammock time this afternoon. KW

2 comments:

chris miller said...

Hope you're staying cool up there. My Google homepage just said it's 101 here in Moscow. It's warm and I'm very thankful for central air.

Kathy said...

It reached 101 here today also. The house is tolerable with ceiling fans running, but I did not try to spend time in the sewing room. Maybe tomorrow morning. Mike is whipping up some ice cream for us -- the old Moss Point recipe.

I'll bet it was at least 110 in Lewiston today. Hallie said she and Nick were going to Connell this weekend to enjoy his mother's air conditioning.