Friday, August 7, 2009

ANOTHER BATTLE IN THE GREAT RODENT WAR

Well, we let down our guard and became lax in our battles. We believed the enemy otherwise occupied and disinterested. Isn't that why generals fail?

"There's dog food in my boot!" Mike exclaimed. "My boot is full of dog food."

"When did you wear them last?" I asked.

"Yesterday." So, we drew the conclusion that overnight a mouse found dog chow in Nell's dish and moved it three feet to Mike's boot for storage. It seemed a gigantic task for a little critter. I have to admire the enemy's resourcefulness and foresight. Still, it won't do to have an infestation.

One thing we've learned about the enemy: they are somewhat predictable. Where they deem themselves successful, they will return. Sure enough -- one fat female down – thousands to go.

Mike poured the dog food into Nellie's dish. She sniffed it good, then looked at Mike, but eventually she ate it.

While Jack was visiting, we drove to the farm in the Magnum. The three of us don't quite fit in the Dakota any more. But the incident in question happened when we returned to town. Mike had just parked the car behind the house and switched off the engine. Just then, a mouse popped up from under the windshield wiper on the passenger side and went down again on the driver's side. Mike let Nellie out and lifted the hood, but there was no action nor did we really hope for any. Jack thought he saw the mouse run under the car later that evening, and of course, that was entirely possible. And that's how a country mouse becomes a city mouse -- bringing in new blood, refreshing the gene pool, and all that.

Carol (Mike's sister) and Max in Memphis have a strobe light in their attic, installed by an exterminator. The theory is that the strobing light hurts the eyes of the rodents, in their case roof rats, and they don't enter. We think that might be worth a try in our farm attic.

Jack told us that Kelly bought one of those devices that emits a high-pitched sound to dissuade mice at their Denver home. They don't see many mice so he wasn't sure if it really works. Mike says it's worth considering.


A snake in the grass is a dangerous thing.

Nellie has been telling me about a rodent between the railroad ties of my raised bed garden. I wish I could say it wasn't so. If your new raised bed garden is already so invaded, what can you do? Well, I can fight back with some "ProZap" and hope for the best, I guess. So, I sprinkled a little in the ties and then, having some left in my cup, I toured the yard for rodent holes, finishing at the barn. At the big open door, I saw it in the grass – a small rattler, barely visible. Happily, Nellie didn't notice and I took her with me and went back to the house to get Mike. Leaving Nellie at the house, I took Mike with me and returned to the barn. I wasn't sure the rattler would still be there, and in fact, it took both of us a moment to see it. But it was still there and as Mike tried to catch it on a pole, it slithered under the wall and into the barn. We found it there and watched as it raised itself onto a ledge. It was still protesting as we left it there.


I think it was July 15 when we left the farm to get ready for our trip to the south. There were lots of hummingbirds and I was cooking nectar twice a day to keep up with them. I thought they would probably be gone when we came back. But, while their numbers are reduced, we seem to have a dozen or so still using the feeders. "Tough little birds," Mike remarks. "Nothing seems to bother them but wasps." Yes, they are wary of the wasps who like to share their feeders but they seem to manage.


The high last Saturday was 103. This morning we arose to a low of 52. We had a long soaker rain in the night and it's raining as I post this. I'm not sure the farmers wanted such a rain right now with harvest about to begin. The prediction is for cool weather in our part of the world today. Some call it cold. If I weren't getting ready for a wedding, I believe I would be inspired to get ready for Christmas -- or Halloween anyway. It feels very fall today. Back to town for the weekend. KW


6 comments:

chris miller said...

Rainy and cool here, too. I feel very fallish and energized. Yes, autumn and Christmas approach!! And this year I get to enjoy both!

Oh yes, rodents. Since we acquired Buddy six years ago, our mouse days have been over. Even the neighbors remark on their absence!! What a cat! We have taken to calling him "The Lion of Lundquist."

murray.warnock said...

Chris, I had the same thought. We haven't seen a mouse in the 17 years since Doris came to stay here. Even in her current semi-senile state she seems to be on the job rodent-wise.

I wonder if Nellie would put up with a farm cat. The outside cats on my block are pretty tough and stare down the dogs for the most part. (They probably wouldn't survive long otherwise.)

Kathy said...

I hear you on enjoying Christmas. Working really interferes with holiday prep and enjoyment.

Mike has concerns about taking cats to the farm:
1) that would bother the bird population he's endeavoring to develop.
2) that they would not live through the winter without care.
3) that they would become prey themselves.
Cats have been suggested to us as normal farm critters. We're just hesitant to take the step.

murray.warnock said...

I've seen some pretty freaky looking barn cats. They get interbred and sometimes grow extra toes up their arms. And that's true about the birds - it can be an issue in the city, too.

murray.warnock said...

"Inbred", I mean.

Kathy said...

A friend from town told us he had visited with a farmer about bringing cats to a farm. He said the thought is that you pick up 6 or 8 cats and hope that at least one of them is a female who will winter through with at least one litter. Sounds like it might be good to bring in some fresh cats from time to time.